Very disorganized

Former Contractor - Marketing Coordinator in Oakland, CA
Former Contractor - Marketing Coordinator in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some very caring people here, obviously

Cons

Very old, bureaucratic company which needs to modernize.

Advice to Management

Work to improve systems and modernize

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place to be but not an equally ambitious workforce

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a safe and stable environment to develop yourself. There is hardly any office politics going on because the culture is all about inclusivity and equality. Mistakes are usually viewed as opportunities for improvement.

Cons

Projects always take longer than expected to finish because at least one important player in the delivery of the work is on vacation at any given time, due to the generous vacation benefits given to employees, especially for those who have stuck around a pretty long time. I also end up worrying about being recognized for my efforts. Some colleagues put in the minimal time and leave. I sometimes stay late to do extra work. However I feel as if we are all still treated the same by management. It disincentives putting one's nose to the grindstone.

Advice to Management

Managers always declare they are open to change, yet not all ideas seem to be welcome. Make the criteria clear so you don't appear hypocritical.

Great Pay, Tons of Politics

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kaiser pay is at the top of the scale for RN's. Administrative nurses only make about 5% more than represented (union) nurses though.

Cons

There is a lot of politics and nepotism at Kaiser. If you get in with the right clique, the promotions and opportunities will be available for you. Also, for a Non-Profit company, Kaiser is always cutting back and pulling a profit. The Non-Profit status is more of a Tax strategy rather than mission to provide low cost care.

Advice to Management

Try to be less adversarial with the Nurses Union. Abide by the Collective Bargaining agreement right off the bat instead of trying to impose your will and test employees to see if they will contact their union rep. More transparency will lend to a better working relationship.