Kaiser Permanente

www.kaiserpermanente.org

Engineering is better than expected

Web Developer (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsPositive work environment. I think people (myself included) feel good about providing useful health management tools. Team is mostly very good -- some surprising talent there. Good pay/benefits. Good work-life balance.

ConsLimited holidays. Engineering shares space with business which makes no sense (engineers need to concentrate -- hard to do when people frequently talk around you). Slight disconnect between business and engineering with respect to expectations and development cycle (it's agile on a 2-week cycle, but business sometimes thinks their requests should be immediately implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider reducing 60% contractor ratio. I realize you must consider this a cost-saving tactic, but I think there are hidden costs to this approach which aren't easily quantifiable. You presumably supported the switch to agile, so please respect the necessity of sticking to the cycle -- 2 weeks really isn't that long to wait for a new feature. :-)

Competitive benefits are competitive, compared to others in the same industry

Account Administration (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: There are a lot of growing opportunities. They have a rich… Cons: It is a union job and when wanting to promote to a union position, at… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Opportunity for growth. Allowed to excel.

Senior Elearning Instructional Designer (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Excellent health plan. Overall job security. Country-wide enterprise provides for opportunity to… Cons: Typical troubles found in all large corporations. Size of corporation precludes ability to… Advice to Senior Management: Continue to increase and enhance communication ability, particularly between departments. The individual needs to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Kaiser Permanente.

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!