There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

two steps forward one step backwards

Current Employee - Contract Manager in Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Contract Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Job benefits (medical) and mission (health care) of the company. This is a non-profit company where corporate profits (greed) dominates the agenda.

Cons

The fact that the company is not profit oriented results in the company not making managerial changes which would result in a better operating company. The deadwood is slow to be cleaned out in contrast to a for profit environment. Also, the senior members of the company appear to be in their "last" jobs and just waiting till retirement. The company needs to have Sr. Managers that have a forward looking orientation that are in the "growth" mode w/ respect to their careers

Advice to Management

Do more to understand the grass roots of what is going on within my area of the company (National Facility Services).

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Place to Work - Back Again, Thriving, and Staying!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Kaiser has work-life balance! I have time to do a good job and think so that I make good decisions. I can do a quality job. What may look like red-tape and slow work is actually "Doing it right the first time, so you don't have a second time". For us, lives are on the line, so we have to concentrate on providing quality not quantity. So, while my work is in project management, defining a governance process, and helping a large group of the best professionals in medicine to work within a process; I still have to concentrate on making sure that everything I do helps KFHP to be the best provider of health care in the business. It is very exciting for me to work at Kaiser, and as someone that has worked for Kaiser off and on for the past 30 years, I still find them the best of all of my many employers.

Cons

You have to be someone that is your own advocate for career advancement. You don't have much in the way of mentors because everyone is up to their ears in alligators (LOTS of work!). But that can be it's own pleasure, if you know how to handle it. I think Kaiser could provide a little more help to employees in that arena. Also, it's hard to gain credibility when your users and colleagues are all MD's and RN's. Their world is very bound in titles. So, it's hard to prove your worth to them. Then again, it is also the coolest job in the world when everyone around you is so bright. Yes, the pay is a little bit less than the outside, but between the wonderful people I work with, the great environment, and the benefits, it's worth it! All in all, for me, the downsides can be spun in my mind into opportunities - so I don't have a lot of complaints.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to listen to the rank and file. Provide a way for them to provide you with feedback and let them know that you are listening. Real examples would be good. Remember the automotive industry and quality circles? You might want to use that at KFHP. Have contests that unearth ways to reduce inefficiency and waste of budget. Reward innovation. Watch your attrition and when it looks bad in an area, address it fast.

Great benefits, totally backwards company.

Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Benefits are unlike anything you may find anywhere else. Health plan and dental benefits for employee and family are pretty much paid for with only a $5 or $10 copay for most plans.

Paid time off builds very quickly and can build to up to 500 hours in Northern California, and no maximum in Southern CA. Considering all time off benefits available, most employees have at least 20 days off available during the first year.

If an employee loses their job through restructuring, they are given between 90 days and a year notice to find another job and generous severance benefits if they don't find a job. There are a lot of company resources available at anytime.

Kaiser is one of the last employers to offer a pension plan, so if you work there for five years, you have guaranteed retirement compensation. If you work for fifteen years, you have guaranteed retirement health plan coverage. So, it's really the benefits that keep most people there.

Also, most hourly jobs are union jobs, so there is a lot of job security for most hourly staff.

There is a social mission at Kaiser that doesn't often exist at other health care providers that motivates a lot of people who work there.

Cons

It is impossible to get much of anything done, and can be incredibly frustrating for anyone who wants to feel accomplishment from their work. What might take a week in another company may take six months at Kaiser. This is the rate of progress at KP. Things that most companies were doing in the 1980s are seen as revolutionary at KP today.

It's decentralized into a bunch of separate fiefdoms, most of which rarely talk to one another, so you may find that there are twenty people with the same job title all doing the same work, none of whom know that they are all duplicating efforts.

Systems and work processes are so antiquated that it's laughable.

The executive employees are set off from the rest of the organization and often have no sense (or often interest) in what is happening below the executive level. There is a lot of jargon and happytalk all the time, but very little action. This leads to a general lack of trust in management, and a general sense that employee concerns will not be addressed. As a result, there is a lot of underlying anxiety and fear in the employee base which is not openly expressed.

There is also a strong impression that poor performance by employees is overlooked, and that managers don't like conflict, so do not address performance issues. This hurts good employees and drags everyone down.

Kaiser also tends to throw people at problems. More people end up involved in what should be simple tasks. Hiring someone else is often the solution to whatever the problem might be, when the real problem is often that the people on staff aren't doing what needs to be done.

Kaiser is known as a "B"or "C" company. It's a place people go to retire, rather than to grow in their careers. This is sad, because it could be a great place to work.

Some of the stuff that happens day to day is enough to make one pull one's hair out. I mean, some of it is straight out of a Dilbert comic or The Office.

Advice to Management

Start confronting the truth with candor about what is wrong with the organization.

Start making the difficult decisions that need to be made to transform Kaiser Permanente into what it could actually be.

Stop accepting mediocrity as the norm. Implement 10% staff reductions of the poorest performers every year to send the right message to the good employees.