Kaiser Permanente

www.kaiserpermanente.org
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser Permanente is a great place to work

Current Employee - Medical Professional in Bakersfield, CA
Current Employee - Medical Professional in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Positive, healthly work environment with an active labor management team approach..

Cons

Corp Management issues on the upper levels, making changes to areas in theory, instead of knowing the real working issues of many departments. Only so many sardines can be put into a can in a certain amount of time.

Ask those who work in the trenches about the trenches before making changes to the trenches in theory.

1874 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

Overall, interesting and rewarding

Former Employee - Clerk III
    Former Employee - Clerk III

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My last boss was totally terrific, and her predecessor was also excellent. Both are caring, compassionate women, totally different in personality and outlook, but very knowledgeable about their field.

Cons

Supervisors and some management who covered for each other and did not root out problems which caused the clerical and some of the field staff to inundate HR with transfer requests.

Make sure the supervisors and management work for and with each other to provide THEIR staff with support and understanding; assume the clerks are intelligent enough to do their jobs without having to micromanage them. That makes for an unhappy staff, and since the first contact with the departments are with the clerks, the best impressions are given to the public if they are happy with their jobs. Also, upper management could work a little better with the union(s) and not project an "us against them" attitude. Granted, the unions tended to be militant for the first several years I worked there and I fault them for that, but later, after they settled down a bit and were easier to work with, the general feeling I got from them that it was still "us versus management," not "us working together with management to produce the best possible contract for the employees, both professional and clerical."

KPIT: Trying to turn IT knowledge into a commodity

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Acceptable offices. Working hours are agreeable.

In its core business, health services (as opposed to the IT side of the firm), the firm has made important advances. It's still a step ahead of the industry in leveraging its EMR for such.

Cons

Directors at KPIT have to primarily focus on politics to keep their career viable. Doing the right thing for the company has to be secondary.

The company outsources most project management and technical work, with many contractors brought onboard for up brief spans. Turnover is high, and competence is developed, then sent packing. Further, management focuses on keeping contractor rates low, so mediocrity among contractors is common.

Management sticks to outdated and inflexible procedures, such as waterfall, and anything forgotten procedurally will be used as a club by other units for purely political ends.

Innovation is stifled through incentives, procedures, politics and culture.

Build innovation-oriented units that are protected from the current organization, then reduce the role of the latter over time.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente