Kaiser Permanente

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

great

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

loyalty rewarded, career growth, great work life balance

Cons

highly matrixed organization that is sometimes tough to navigate

1875 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

Stay in the box or be fired

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Recognizable company name, good benefits if you can stick it out.

Cons

Think and act as instructed, you become a threat if you try to be creative.

Take a pay cut

I wouldn't do it again, knowing now what I didn't know then

Former Employee - Clinician in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I thought it was good at first, as pay was good. I had a couple of really excellent supervisors. (I worked there 10 years). I believed in the idea of preventive care and education available, and thought that quality could be achieved. There are some really great people, working under really tough circumstances.

Cons

Some of the worst management I've experienced in over 30 years of work! I also feel like they spend more on marketing than on patient care, and corners are always cut. The marketing is like a monster, and not even accurate. It's very management and administratively TOP-Heavy! The politics are insane and too much power is in the hands of the wrong people. Partners do pretty well, but are often overworked. There seems to be some shady stuff going on, and a lot of lip service, but the experience isn't what it seems. Crummy managers get promoted as long as they butter up those above them. Needs more emphasis on patient care and less on numbers and faulty information. Not enough transparency. Some of the unions are too involved in what doesn't matter, and not involved enough in what does. It's hard to main pride and respect when one sees hypocrisy and two-faced behaviors.

Know your staff. Spend time with them and let their assets shine. Neither patients nor people are made from cookie cutters, so allow reasonable leeway. Reduce the number of meetings. Focus on medicine and not on red tape, papers, reports, and bad data. Trust your employees unless they give you reason not to. Stop "bullying". Stop gossiping. Care. Support your staff and don't scold or blame them. We know there is pressure from on high, but look at the bigger picture. Don't micro-manage, especially among independent, advanced, learned staff. Merit should count more than seniority. It should be easier to get rid of bad employees; Good ones aren't always well protected.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente