Kaiser Permanente
3.5 of 5 1,495 reviews
www.kaiserpermanente.org Oakland, CA 5000+ Employees

I wouldn't do it again, knowing now what I didn't know then

Clinician (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

ProsI thought it was good at first, as pay was good. I had a couple of really excellent supervisors. (I worked there 10 years). I believed in the idea of preventive care and education available, and thought that quality could be achieved. There are some really great people, working under really tough circumstances.

ConsSome of the worst management I've experienced in over 30 years of work! I also feel like they spend more on marketing than on patient care, and corners are always cut. The marketing is like a monster, and not even accurate. It's very management and administratively TOP-Heavy! The politics are insane and too much power is in the hands of the wrong people. Partners do pretty well, but are often overworked. There seems to be some shady stuff going on, and a lot of lip service, but the experience isn't what it seems. Crummy managers get promoted as long as they butter up those above them. Needs more emphasis on patient care and less on numbers and faulty information. Not enough transparency. Some of the unions are too involved in what doesn't matter, and not involved enough in what does. It's hard to main pride and respect when one sees hypocrisy and two-faced behaviors.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your staff. Spend time with them and let their assets shine. Neither patients nor people are made from cookie cutters, so allow reasonable leeway. Reduce the number of meetings. Focus on medicine and not on red tape, papers, reports, and bad data. Trust your employees unless they give you reason not to. Stop "bullying". Stop gossiping. Care. Support your staff and don't scold or blame them. We know there is pressure from on high, but look at the bigger picture. Don't micro-manage, especially among independent, advanced, learned staff. Merit should count more than seniority. It should be easier to get rid of bad employees; Good ones aren't always well protected.

Great benefits, good healthcare, solid employment

IT Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: I've been with Kaiser for 13 years working in the IT field. The people on the business and medical side are great to work… Cons: The technology is severely outdated. The bureaucracy is about the worst I have seen as far as getting things done, getting software upgrades, network… Advice to Senior Management: Focus on the business of healthcare and cut the administrative… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

High stress for good benefits

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Benefits are amazing (but this is going to change soon) and a… Cons: Management is all talk and no show, they don't usually step in to help or teach what should be done. For every task that is… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your lower employees about what works, and treat… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Kaiser Permanente.

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaiser Permanente reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kaiser Permanente CEO Bernard J. Tyson. All reviews posted anonymously by Kaiser Permanente employees.