There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Good place to work if you want to retire

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and retirement plans. Depending on the department that you work for there are advancement opportunities. But don't get suck in the work department and you'll be there for years.

Cons

Low pay. Bad management. Bad direction. Low moral. Leadership team is downsizing everything and it will affect service in the corporate office as well as the hospitals.

Advice to Management

Quit the BS. Too many chief and not enough Indians. Stop laying off employees and hiring more managers.

reviews filtered by

Great place to work...depending on your manager

Former Contractor - Governance, Reporting and Communications Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful company culture and the leadership believes and embraces the work life balance; it is not just talk. Many avenues to pursue once you get inside. It is a family and there are many wonderful things to work on within the scope of Kaiser Permenente. I worked in IT and it is a large comfortable campus with perks like subsidized lunch and music performances, also quality materials to work with. They are not cheap. Very reasonable, flexible and empowering of the individual.

Cons

I got a bad director. She just couldn't handle the managerial aspects of her newly promoted state and gave no guidance whatsoever as to regular duties or deliverables to be produced or tasks to be performed, and she never got back with requested or required input on projects or deliverables, which made it difficult to get things done. I was let go without any more information than "it just didn't work out" which is hard to swallow when you are a senior level contributor with 25 years experience. Other directors are far better.

Advice to Management

Governance, Reporting and Communications should be run by someone who actually can spell and use Word at a professional level, understands Excel and producing metric diagrams via automated applications instead of hand cut and paste and the errors prone to human interventions in reporting, and understands that governance is not just reporting on problems and golf-clapping a vendor for doing their job. Governance is in part ensuring SLA compliance and finding out and fixing what is wrong should SLAs not be met. At present, nothing is done to rectify problems from the director, the same action items remain for weeks and months and senior level leadership is forced to micro manage what should be a relatively straight forward position. Or it would be if I was allowed to implement the changes I proposed.

Great place to work at

Current Intern - Graphic Designer in Oakland, CA
    Current Intern - Graphic Designer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

flexible hours
    awesome and supportive manager and coworkers
    great work/life balance

Cons

still looking for room to grow/learn more in my position

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente