Kaiser Permanente

www.kaiserpermanente.org
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Overall Good Experience; Bad Apples Spoil The Bunch

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Pay, benefits, flexibility, and potential for career advancement.

Cons

I actually have a fairly good job, am getting paid the most I ever have in my working career, and have an excellent relationship with my supervisor. However, the problems lie with the union rules making it hard to fire bad employees. I am one of the good apples among a bunch of rotting fruit. About 95% of my coworkers have worked at Kaiser for more than 10 years and have become lazy, immature, miserable, constant complainers who treat people like crap and act like the office is a high school classroom instead of a workplace. Most of them are also not trying to change their situation, but will gripe about any changes that take place within Kaiser or our department that does not directly benefit them somehow.

With that, my supervisor and union representatives highly encourage employees to use the education benefits that are offered to us. So, if one does wish to transition out of his or her current position into another one within Kaiser, all one has to do is go back to school, pick a major that is of interest, let Kaiser pay for the majority of it, and move forward.

Working in the type of atmosphere I described in the first paragraph can be discouraging and cause low morale; however, I continue to do above and beyond my best. My supervisor is not to blame, as managers and supervisors can't immediately get rid of the bad employees or hold back their raise due to union rules. If it were just myself and the other employees who actually do the work that we were hired to do and my supervisor in the office, I would LOVE IT, and give Kaiser five stars!

Aside from all this, the company has been focusing quite a lot on staying healthy and also giving rewards to employees for maintaining good health/practicing healthy behaviors, which is more than any other company for which I have worked, so I give them a thumbs up for that.

Overall, I think Kaiser is a good company to work for, just need a better system to get rid of the slackers.

Work harder to get rid of bad employees and get them out as fast as you can!

1806 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

Loved working here

Former Employee - Intern in Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working here was an incredible experience for me. I have learned a lot from the coworkers and it was a very helpful group of people to cooperate and collaborate with. They were all very knowledgeable and helpful to me, even though I was just an intern.

Cons

The only problem I had was the office area which was often very cold or very dark. Atmosphere made it hard to focus, but that was just a minor detail.

Great experience.

Former Employee - IT Project Manager II in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager II in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with great people, nice environment, competitive salary.

Cons

Would have been nice to have received preference/assistance for positions within Kaiser after being laid off.

Better resource management. People are being laid off, but at the same time new FTE and contract positions are being added.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente