There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Not sure I can stay to retire

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and excellent benefits. There are opportunities to move and promote within the organization, even to other states. Great use of technology.

Cons

The retirement plan keeps diminishing and the hospital sides healthplan for employees is not as good as it used to be.
Employees get away with a lot because the lawyers are afraid to terminate, especially managers and above.
Cutting employees without looking for waste elsewhere is shortsighted.
Life work balance is supposed to be valued, but the job responsibilities keep growing, with the number of people to do the work decreasing
Tuition reimbursement is minimal- does not show a true belief in higher education ($1000/yr)

Don't be afraid to terminate employees who do not follow the rules. The rules mean nothing when employees see others getting away with breaking them.
Stop looking at metrics and start looking at what is behind the metric- you may be very suprised!

1693 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement

Cons

Union environment makes some employees have that "entitled" attituded.

Give managers the tools to do their jobs and not bog them down on the tedious details.

Overall Good Experience; Bad Apples Spoil The Bunch

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Pay, benefits, flexibility, and potential for career advancement.

Cons

I actually have a fairly good job, am getting paid the most I ever have in my working career, and have an excellent relationship with my supervisor. However, the problems lie with the union rules making it hard to fire bad employees. I am one of the good apples among a bunch of rotting fruit. About 95% of my coworkers have worked at Kaiser for more than 10 years and have become lazy, immature, miserable, constant complainers who treat people like crap and act like the office is a high school classroom instead of a workplace. Most of them are also not trying to change their situation, but will gripe about any changes that take place within Kaiser or our department that does not directly benefit them somehow.

With that, my supervisor and union representatives highly encourage employees to use the education benefits that are offered to us. So, if one does wish to transition out of his or her current position into another one within Kaiser, all one has to do is go back to school, pick a major that is of interest, let Kaiser pay for the majority of it, and move forward.

Working in the type of atmosphere I described in the first paragraph can be discouraging and cause low morale; however, I continue to do above and beyond my best. My supervisor is not to blame, as managers and supervisors can't immediately get rid of the bad employees or hold back their raise due to union rules. If it were just myself and the other employees who actually do the work that we were hired to do and my supervisor in the office, I would LOVE IT, and give Kaiser five stars!

Aside from all this, the company has been focusing quite a lot on staying healthy and also giving rewards to employees for maintaining good health/practicing healthy behaviors, which is more than any other company for which I have worked, so I give them a thumbs up for that.

Overall, I think Kaiser is a good company to work for, just need a better system to get rid of the slackers.

Work harder to get rid of bad employees and get them out as fast as you can!

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente