There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Committed to learning and growth

Current Employee - Communications Consultant
Current Employee - Communications Consultant

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time

Pros

Many internal courses, seminars and conferences for the asking. Tuition reimbursement. Support for employees to attend professional seminars.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to accommodate all requests.

Advice to Management

Spread learning opportunities to more of the workforce (especially non-managers).

Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente

1. I enjoy my job, it is very interesting and allows me to help patients, families, staff members, and physicians.

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stressful at times, dealing with difficult people.

Cons

This is an intense job with a significant amount of responsibility but I "Thrive" on this type of an environment.

Overall Good Experience; Bad Apples Spoil The Bunch

Pros

Pay, benefits, flexibility, and potential for career advancement.

Cons

I actually have a fairly good job, am getting paid the most I ever have in my working career, and have an excellent relationship with my supervisor. However, the problems lie with the union rules making it hard to fire bad employees. I am one of the good apples among a bunch of rotting fruit. About 95% of my coworkers have worked at Kaiser for more than 10 years and have become lazy, immature, miserable, constant complainers who treat people like crap and act like the office is a high school classroom instead of a workplace. Most of them are also not trying to change their situation, but will gripe about any changes that take place within Kaiser or our department that does not directly benefit them somehow. With that, my supervisor and union representatives highly encourage employees to use the education benefits that are offered to us. So, if one does wish to transition out of his or her current position into another one within Kaiser, all one has to do is go back to school, pick a major that is of interest, let Kaiser pay for the majority of it, and move forward. Working in the type of atmosphere I described in the first paragraph can be discouraging and cause low morale; however, I continue to do above and beyond my best. My supervisor is not to blame, as managers and supervisors can't immediately get rid of the bad employees or hold back their raise due to union rules. If it were just myself and the other employees who actually do the work that we were hired to do and my supervisor in the office, I would LOVE IT, and give Kaiser five stars! Aside from all this, the company has been focusing quite a lot on staying healthy and also giving rewards to employees for maintaining good health/practicing healthy behaviors, which is more than any other company for which I have worked, so I give them a thumbs up for that. Overall, I think Kaiser is a good company to work for, just need a better system to get rid of the slackers.

Advice to Management

Work harder to get rid of bad employees and get them out as fast as you can!