Kaiser Permanente - many possibilities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Kaiser offers many types of employment, everything from direct patient care to Marketing, Finance, and Research. Once in, your ability to move around is great. As you grow, so can your career - networking is very important once inside. Kaiser believes in promoting from within but is not afraid to go outsite to bring in the best. The benefits are also very good and currently include tuition reimbursement.

Cons

As a non-profit HMO, the focus is on providing excellent healthcare at the lowest costs. Revenue deficits are typically absorbed by the company instead being passed on to the customer. Because of this, salaries are typically lower than in the for-profit market. Also, employees must make sacrifices such as doing more with less, including being understaffed, and at times work without a cost of living raise.

Advice to Management

Business should not always be about the bottom line. People deserve at least a cost of living increase every year and this needs to be built into the business plan. No increase creates low morale, low morale creates production and human resource loss, all of this equates to financial loss.

Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Issues in Pharmacy, not recommended if you aren't pursuing this field.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The retirement an benefit options are wonderful. Even as a part time employee I have started allocating funds into a 401k, and there seems to be much opportunity within the organization to grow. I also get great pay at an entry level position at almost 3 times the minimum wage.

Cons

I find a great discontinuity between the mission of the organization - to provide quality health care to each patient - and the way that my job (in Pharmacy) is designed. No matter the inconveniences patients are caused, changing our system or fixing issues within it I have found to be hierarchical and fruitless, which leaves me as a retail worker getting 90% of the customer complaints when I can do 10% to change their experience. As a part time worker in this field my schedule has been unpredictable both by the fact that my location is open every day of the year, but also that my schedule is changed on a weekly basis, which makes it difficult to balance my personal life.

Advice to Management

Be more appreciative to your employees and acknowledge when you are taking advantage of them when it comes to scheduling work hours.

MAILORDER Pharmacy - Do you want to be a Pharmacist??

Current Employee - Outpatient Pharmacist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Outpatient Pharmacist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy stress free job. Good Pay Good Medical Benefits Good Retirement Benefits

Cons

UNION environment Managers are very controlling Most decisions are based on seniority status Manager / Staff Politics are very strong