There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

The section that I work in is micro managed, and the staff had been unhappy with the managers.

Current Employee - Analyst in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Analyst in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can teach yourself new skills that you can utilizes on a new job that you might have in the future. Our department does not require that we are rocket scientist, and if you have a rocket scientist mind you will hate working in this department.

Cons

Our group is micro managed, and recommendations to improved tasks are not take seriously. The skills of the group are not up to date. If this group worked outside of Kaiser, then they would have to really upgrade the current skills that they have.

Advice to Management

Need to start focusing more on better ways to motivate your employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Overall a good company with good employee benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company itself provides fine compensation and good employee benefits. Each region (eg. Northern California, Southern California) functions separately and could be very different.

Cons

Bad leadership. Low morale. Constant turnover of staff in my region (both at the management level and the support staff level).

Advice to Management

Please take employee satisfaction survey results more seriously. HR spoke with staff in the departments with poorest satisfaction but took no action - a total waste of everybody's time!

Good overall experience with many bright people and good benefits and pay.

Current Employee - PeopleSoft Developer in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - PeopleSoft Developer in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture is business-like but employee centric. Staff is given value within an environment where much is expected. Despite competitive health care industry, every attempt is made to value and train staff.

Cons

Very beauracratic. Difficult to move to new positions due to tightly defined job roles. Emphasis is placed on degrees and certifications in hiring which further limits career mobility.
    Health Care environment is very competitive with that pressure translated down to staff; department heads and meetings constantly stress need to do more with less. Runs counter to work-life balance emphasis which is also promoted; causing dissonance to staff. What does management really want, work life balance or 60 hour weeks?

Advice to Management

Place less reliance on doing production support through outside vendors. Loosen job posting guidelines and avoid writing very specific job descriptions that no internal applicant has the qualifications for. Give staff opportunity to grow into certifications and job duties.