Kaiser Permanente

www.kaiserpermanente.org
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

A company that is committed to constant improvement for employees and patients

Current Employee - Cardiac Sonographer in Hayward, CA
Current Employee - Cardiac Sonographer in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The sky is the limit with personal growth. The have a multitude of classes to further your management knowledge. The work life balance is very acceptable. The office culture is easy going.

Cons

Can get very bureaucratic and political though some departments are worse than others. To me that is very minimal since that is a normal issue for large corporations. Unit based teams help to soften this problem.

Don't forget to delegate. There are a lot of people in this organization that are willing to help.

1943 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

STAFF DOES NOT THRIVE!

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits

Cons

The Kaiser system does not care about patients only $$. Staff is shut down when they bring concerns to management so no one says anything anymore. There is no work/life balance, most staff is on overload and stressed out. No communication between management and staff. Decisions made by management and then changed the next week, no consistency or transparency.

Read any of the "cons" and take what you will.

Scheming, Incompetent Managers at the top

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many terrific, dedicated people work for Kaiser Permanente - in the middle ranks. Let's hope they will "thrive" to do some good in the world.

Cons

Kaiser Permanente is top-heavy with incompetent do-nothings internally called "Old Kaiser". They almost sank the whole system over their rush to take over the prestigious Electronic Health Record positions that they didn't understand. On the "business side" looking the part came to mean more than technical knowledge: in fact "technical people" were regarded as contingent labor to be used and thrown away.

While I worked as a mere project coordinator, the insight I got into the highest level workings of Kaiser was enough to make me never want to work for that company again. I was hired after a year of working as a temp. The first thing my new manager did was try to elicit dirt on another manager I had been assigned to. When I demurred, she tried to bring up the subject in other ways. Finally she dragged me into a meeting with the Director of the department and told him that she thought I was afraid to talk about the problems with this former manager, whom she was apparently trying to set up to be fired.

When I still refused to cooperate, she started to make a big show of building a file AGAINST ME. When I had technical problems with my computer and sent an email notice that I had to miss a staff meeting because I was with tech support, she sent an email documenting how she had explained to me that it was a job requirement that I attend staff meetings. Then she asked for me to give her a list of everything I liked and disliked about my job *IN WRITING*. She continued to disguise her actions against me by sending me to get a new ergonomic chair for my desk. But the very next day after that, she called me into her office to fire me: it turned out she could fire me for no reason at all since I was still in my probation period.

I did attempt to complain to Human Resources, but apparently she had already been calling them for weeks, and they had been arming her for how to legally terminate an employee, whether there was cause or not! I then went through the months long process of appeals. This turned out to amount to asking the manager whether she would consider taking me back. My appeal was rejected the day before Christmas.

It outrages me that a manager in a large, respected company like Kaiser, in such a high level department, could get away with this sort of scheming, manipulative behavior - and then just fire anyone who doesn't cooperate with her. As far as I know she has continued to rise in the ranks, while I was thrown out on the street.

As for the general level incompetence - I saw that all over the office. But the most appalling thing was the Indian programmers. I don't say that to be racist: India has great technical education, and the programmers that went through that education system deserve a lot of respect. But the guys I'm talking about were hired simply because they were Indian and they *looked* like programmers! They were calling their buddies for how to do their job all the time! Worse, they were calling me! I was more technical than they were, and I was being paid clerical wages while they were being paid over $100k a year and getting to go to conferences! There is something wrong with the way hiring managers stereotype people in this country. Working at Kaiser really made me cynical because I had to see that there are a lot of people who lie on their resumes, and have a whole system set up to lie on their recommendations, and they end up in great jobs. And then there are honest people like me who know things because they read a lot, but they have no one to vouch for them, and they make chicken-scratch because they are nerds who don't network. In a way I'm glad I didn't work at Kaiser long, because that environment would have made me bitter about life.

First, clean house on "Old Kaiser". Stop associating looks with competence, and stop hiring on the basis of stereotypes. If there are rumors about certain managers constructing elaborate schemes to get other managers fired, check them out - it just might be true. Also, HR should reconsider the wisdom of always being on the manager's side against the lower-level employee: sometimes they should just advise the manager not to be such a jerk.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente