Good place to work!

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you like serving others then this is a great place to be. Every department has the ability to make a difference.

Cons

There should be more support / communication within the immediate Manager Team for the employees that support them.

Advice to Management

Give better details of what is expected and provide ALL the necessary tools to do the jobs efficiently.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work with many avenues of career expansion.

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and work/life balance. I worked on-call for 3.5 years and short hour (16 hr/week) for the latter 1.5 years of my employment, being able to work on average of 24-32 hours a week by picking up additional hours. The atmosphere around the hospital is generally positive, and there are a lot of neat events to partake in such as the Friday Farmer's Market and wellness celebrations at the adjacent Mosswood Park.

Cons

Favoritism was a major culprit in this department's lackluster management. Even as I often voluntarily covered specific shifts workable around my schedule from those who called in sick, I found myself reassigned elsewhere with double workload because another cross-covering lab assistant didn't want to "do a different job title's work." Complaining to the manager only resulted in me being admonished because I "wasn't being a team player." If you work here, bond with your co-workers, as they generally want to help and defend you. Also, transferring to another facility can deem difficult because most other facilities are under a different bargaining unit.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your employees; many of the veteran techs, scientists, and support staff know what they are doing. if you want to change something, seek input from and work with them since making numbers and figures more efficient doesn't always necessarily translate well on the bench.

Frustrating and exhausting working for this organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and good starting salary.

Cons

Working for Kaiser is like working for the government: It pays the bills but is less than rewarding. Financial rewards are not based upon personal performance. If you are a non-union Health Plan employee annual salary increases do not keep pace with inflation and everyone receives the same 1.5% regardless of contribution. There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude. Management is definitely top down and results in many inefficiencies due to a lack of rank and file participation in process decisions. Kaiser is the typical large corporation that cannot foster anything entrepreneurial without ultimately crushing it in bureaucratic red tape and a desire to force every productive square peg into an inappropriate round hole.

Advice to Management

In today's challenging financial environment, management needs a new appreciation for individual employee productivity. They need to develop a personal performance reward system that distinguishes top performers throughout the organization. Stop advertising work life balance until there is truly an opportunity for employees to experience this. If a sector of the organization exhibits entrepreneurial behavior and success, STOP TRYING TO MAKE IT LOOK EXACTLY LIKE OTHER DISSIMILAR BUSINESS UNITS. LET IT THRIVE.