There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Great place to work with many avenues of career expansion.

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and work/life balance. I worked on-call for 3.5 years and short hour (16 hr/week) for the latter 1.5 years of my employment, being able to work on average of 24-32 hours a week by picking up additional hours. The atmosphere around the hospital is generally positive, and there are a lot of neat events to partake in such as the Friday Farmer's Market and wellness celebrations at the adjacent Mosswood Park.

Cons

Favoritism was a major culprit in this department's lackluster management. Even as I often voluntarily covered specific shifts workable around my schedule from those who called in sick, I found myself reassigned elsewhere with double workload because another cross-covering lab assistant didn't want to "do a different job title's work." Complaining to the manager only resulted in me being admonished because I "wasn't being a team player." If you work here, bond with your co-workers, as they generally want to help and defend you. Also, transferring to another facility can deem difficult because most other facilities are under a different bargaining unit.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your employees; many of the veteran techs, scientists, and support staff know what they are doing. if you want to change something, seek input from and work with them since making numbers and figures more efficient doesn't always necessarily translate well on the bench.

Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Don't even think about it!

Current Employee - Physician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Physician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vested pension, after 10 years (even though it's unsecured).

Cons

Always short-staffed. Always. All jobs, all positions.

Advice to Management

Stop with 'crisis' management, and chaos. Just stop. Be truthful. Treat everyone as an adult. Stop canceling vacations, sick leave, medical appointments, holidays, all in the name of 'patient care', comes first.

2. satisfying

Former Employee - Volunteer Shift Leader in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Volunteer Shift Leader in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I volunteering here during my high school years and it was very good for extracurricular activities

Cons

this takes up a lot of your time. I worked every tuesday from 4 to 7 all through out the year

Advice to Management

you guys are doing a great job