There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Great place to work with many avenues of career expansion.

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician  in  Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great compensation and work/life balance. I worked on-call for 3.5 years and short hour (16 hr/week) for the latter 1.5 years of my employment, being able to work on average of 24-32 hours a week by picking up additional hours. The atmosphere around the hospital is generally positive, and there are a lot of neat events to partake in such as the Friday Farmer's Market and wellness celebrations at the adjacent Mosswood Park.

Cons

Favoritism was a major culprit in this department's lackluster management. Even as I often voluntarily covered specific shifts workable around my schedule from those who called in sick, I found myself reassigned elsewhere with double workload because another cross-covering lab assistant didn't want to "do a different job title's work." Complaining to the manager only resulted in me being admonished because I "wasn't being a team player." If you work here, bond with your co-workers, as they generally want to help and defend you.
Also, transferring to another facility can deem difficult because most other facilities are under a different bargaining unit.

Please listen to your employees; many of the veteran techs, scientists, and support staff know what they are doing. if you want to change something, seek input from and work with them since making numbers and figures more efficient doesn't always necessarily translate well on the bench.

1632 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

Former Employee

Former Employee - Project Manager I  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager I in Burbank, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Kaiser is a great company to work for. Great benefits and compensation. Depending on your supervisor, there are a lot of opportunities and they want you to have a life and work balance. It is like a big family not only within your own department but with other departments as well. Many of the employees here take much pride being apart of Kaiser and are usually with the company for long duration.

Cons

There is a management disconnect, many of the departments do not communicate among each other, causing there to be a ripple in communication. And many departments do not know the work that one another does. Instead of working together, each departments work against each other many times, as a competition, which significantly slows the process of certain goals.

Former Department Administrator

Former Employee - Department Administrator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Department Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay and great benefits! Excellent opportunity for career growth. Multiple leadership off sites to instill the organizations goals and direction and motivate their leaders. Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior.

Cons

Physicians are the owners of SCPMG. If they decide they are no longer happy with you then you no longer have a career. Senior Management will initially tell you you are doing a great job and say they are supporting you but when their backs are against the wall you are left to fend for yourself. Butt kissing and back stabbing go a long way with helping you get to the top. Don't ever cross anyone in senior leadership, you will be blacklisted. This is even if you've never been placed on an action plan and have had good/great evaluations. Finally, union employees, you may have grounds to terminate or issue a corrective action but if they are long term employees they are allowed to return to work through the arbitration process or by the union business rep having a relationship with senior management.

Transparency in the truest form is key. Mentoring new managers is needed. Often times, they are left to figure it out on their own. Truly support your middle managers. They work hard for the organization and need to know when things are not going well long before it's too late to make changes.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!