Great place to work

Former Employee - Project Manager II in Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Project Manager II in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Perfect place for a work life balance.
Great opportunities to move internally and grow.
One of the best benefits package
Depending on the group, you may have flexibility to work from home as well for limited number of days.

Cons

Too many processes since it is a large enterprise.
Health care is the core business and not IT. So do not expect it to be the most efficient from IT perspective.

Advice to Management

Ever few years, there is a large change in the direction when the upper management layer changes. This costs a lot of money and time, not always advisable.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good for those who like status quo.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Things are predictable and slow. If you have a family, this is a perfect place to be. My department is really good with work-life balance. So if you have a call from the daycare/school saying your child is hurt and need you to be in the hospital, you can leave in 15 minutes and to see your child. And my department really respect people's PTO.

Cons

Don't expect to have any career advancement. My manager made it clear that I can consider change position laterally. It takes forever to advance to the next level up. The computer system is really outdated. We are still using IE 6 and Lotus Note 6.5! I don't like the bureaucracy within the organization. It's not efficient to get things done with the least amount of resources. It's hard to promote change/modification because people are so used to the old way of doing things.

Advice to Management

If you are looking at the bottom line so that "you can deliver better health care," please streamline the process in the back-end office so that we can spend more resource to physicians!

2. Good environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Good benefits. Good pay. Excellent pension plan with retirement benefits. long term company. great work environment. stable work locations and status

Cons

dated computer system, interview was very coarse, union benefits made every promotion and transfer seniority based instead of performance based

Advice to Management

Seniority should not be the only thing looked at for promotions. You should be looking at the overall picture in order for someone to get a promotion.