There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Great benefits

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Bellflower, CA
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Bellflower, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Kaiser is a great place to work if you're looking for stability and great benefits. The work can be challenging at times, which is a plus.

Cons

Kaiser is difficult to get into when you are first trying to get hired, it's like a small town and about who you know. With Kaiser either your "in" or your "out" and if you're "out" you can kiss your future good bye. So just stay in the "in" and don't burn any bridges.

Hire Directors/Managers with management experience.

1615 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

I loved the people, but was not shown appreciation with market value salary

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Job security, nice people, opportunity from within

Cons

Hard to get into, if you start at a lower salary to get your foot in the door, you'll stay at pretty much that salary forever because they will never give more than a 10% raise, if that.

Insurance Plan side management is unbelievably incompetent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

-some coworkers are really fantastic
    -nice folks overall
    -good benefits, decent pay (given the current economic conditions)
    -you will never NOT have enough work to do
    -it "feels good" to work for a non-profit insurer who's stated corporate values (affordable health care for all, restore the middle class, etc.) align with my own

Cons

Management is unbelievably incompentent and reactive, I mean, it seriously defies comprehension. Many senior managers don't even have bachelors degrees, or if they do, it is a BSN. All promotion and recognition is based solely on who's ass you have kissed. Management is very checked out in general, but when a problem has spun out of control, then they swoop in and start stabbing people in the back. This creates an environment where everyone is watching their back, and spending so much time CYA-ing that there isn't time to do work. It also kills any sense of initiative. Why take the initiative when you are only going to get punished? Management tends to focus on corporate initiatives that are essentially meaningless, instead of improving the basics. IT dept is a joke. Backend systems are obsolete and do not meet operating requirements. System fixes are outsourced to India. Critical teams are severely under resourced, and at the same time, there is lots of dead wood.

Fire every incompetent and unqualified manager and hire people that are actually qualified to be managers. Better yet, promote from within. Do not hire high school graduates to manage people with advanced degrees. You do not need a ratio of 1 middle manager per 3 FTEs. If you schedule people in 6 meetings every day of the week you should not be surprised when work doesn't get done. Create a culture of accountability. Do not expect your individual contributors to work 50 to 60 hours a week when your managers barely bother to show up to work.

Note: I waited until I had been working at Kaiser for over a year before posting this, to give you a fair chance, but the problems noted above were obvious to me from the first day.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!