Kansas City Zoo

www.kansascityzoo.org
  www.kansascityzoo.org
There are newer employer reviews for Kansas City Zoo

Not concerned with their workers

Former Employee - Membership Sales in Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - Membership Sales in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Kansas City Zoo part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to work outdoors, meet new people

Cons

A lot of people who work here really haven't had decent jobs in the past. I was probably one of few workers who had previously received benefits and great treatment from their management. The way management will treat you here is wrong. On hot and long days they have no concern for your health and sales here are completely unfair. You would receive 50 cents per membership sale. Some peopel would sit inside in air conditioning and enter in mail-in membership applications and get paid over 20/hour while some people have to stay outside and try and cold-sell people. It's really not fair and management did little to help with this. I think the employees here need to have better standards. Horrible place to work. Not very many opportunities either for your career.

Get off your power trip, it's the zoo and not the hilton hotel. A relaxed and fun atmosphere will go a long way for staff and customers alike.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Kansas City Zoo (View Most Recent)

Starter Zoo, not a reputable career zoo.

Former Employee - Zoo Keeper in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Zoo Keeper in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Kansas City Zoo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Young, social staff. Great animal variety--easy to switch teams.

Cons

Inexperienced staff, lack of professional training and research opportunities. Management uses questionable judgement, with the priority being zoo visitors, not the animals.

Invest more in staff, and be more focused on animal welfare.

Worst place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Animal Care in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Animal Care in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Kansas City Zoo

Pros

We have excellent and inexpensive benefits, probably the best overall benefits package I've had at any employer.
    We have a large/varied animal collection.
    We just received a tax initiative that will in theory make the zoo more financially secure

Cons

Many employees are afraid to voice concerns/complaints for fear of retribution from senior management.
    Many zoo departments are extremely understaffed and therefore the animals do not receive the care they deserve
    The money from the sales tax initiative that passed in November is mainly going to be used to build new exhibits/attractions rather than to staff the zoo to the appropriate level for our current collection.
    Staff are treated poorly by upper management (overworked, under-appreciated, some verbal abuse, etc)
    High staff turnover both from employees quitting and being fired (someone quits at least once a week, someone is fired at least once a month)

Listen to employee suggestions/comments rather than dismissing them. Allow for open and professional communication between management and non-management without jumping to firing people who express concerns with the zoo. Recognize the amount of time and dedication that staff are already putting in rather than constantly asking for more from them. Bring the primary focus of the zoo back to giving the animals the best care; anything else should come second.

There are newer employer reviews for Kansas City Zoo