There are newer employer reviews for Kaplan Higher Education

Unethical practices and low pay

Former Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kaplan Higher Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My immediate supervisors were great. They helped me develop my skills. The staff in the education department at the local campus works hard. There are a lot of low-level employees that have their heart in their job and want to help their students.

Cons

1. The mission statement is about education, but the emphasis is placed on numbers.
2. The admission policies are unethical. Students are encouraged to enroll despite having the finances or academic ability to be successful in the program. I have witnessed students enrolled who are living out of their car. I have witnessed students enrolled who can not read. It is then left to the education department to deal with it.
3. Career services twists job titles to make it appear placements rates are high. Giving Grandma her medicine does not mean that you are working in the medical field.
4. The pay is too low compared to industry standards.
5. Your work load will continue to increase. Each time they layoff employees (which is a lot), they assign their duties to someone else with no increase in pay or benefits.

Go back and look at your mission. You aren't running your business by it. By the end, I was embarrassed to be a Kaplan employee because I felt like we were prostituting ourselves just to make money.

86 Other Employee Reviews for Kaplan Higher Education (View Most Recent)

Execs treated like gold while everyone else fights for scraps...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kaplan Higher Education full-time

Pros

HR team was very responsive to issues.

Cons

Egregious pay structure - C-suite makes ridiculous salaries (and benefits) while mid- and low-level employees have salary freezes and are continuously facing layoffs.
    Also, a lot of mouth is given to the overall purpose of the company (provide education to those who aren't served by traditional institutions), but all evidence points to the company simply wanting to make money, regardless of what happens to students.

Unerappreciated in proprietary education

Current Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Kaplan Higher Education

Pros

Co-workers were great, and campus atmosphere was fun

Cons

Push for numbers and lack of ethics. Decisions on managers was bias.

Be more inclusive of talented minority candidates!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Kaplan Higher Education

Worked for Kaplan Higher Education? Contribute to the Community!