There are newer employer reviews for Kaplan

Kaplan builds futures, and I'm happy to help!

Current Employee - Territory Marketing Director in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Territory Marketing Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

Kaplan builds futures, one success story at a time. It's tough in this day and age to find a job that not only challenges you to grow and allows you to fulfill your professional potential, but also makes you feel good about helping people every day. It's a unique opportunity to marry a noble cause with the pace and profitability of private enterprise. Also, I've had the privilege of working with bright, motivated, ambitious colleagues at all levels of the company, and those of us who deliver on our performance goals have had plenty of opportunities for advancement. Finally, despite being the world leader in test prep for over 70 years, Kaplan continues to innovate at the cutting edge of technology and for-profit education. Most of all, decisions at all levels are made not just to build the bottom line, but first and foremost to benefit our students.

Cons

This is a challenging environment to work in, and Kaplan employees put in a lot of hours because we're passionate about what we do. However, I've always enjoyed a challenge and I want to work with people who feel the same way.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in our products, our technology, our students, and most importantly - our employees!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great company - for marketers, not for educators

Current Employee - Academic Manager
    Current Employee - Academic Manager

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

When I first started working for Kaplan I was exposed to several things about standardized tests that I was never aware of. I was able to offer the best advice to families based on the expertise that I have had. Working under a manager who had several years of experience in the business really helped. New employees are strongly supported and given all the skills necessary to succeed. Kaplan also offers amazing benefits. The medical and dental packages are perfect for anyone that sees one doctor yearly or several. The company also offers tons of corporate discounts, matching gifts donations, and the opportunity to take any course the company offers for free.

Cons

Although Kaplan is known for it's leading educational business, it is not a company for educators (unless you are willing to work part time). Kaplan puts its products first and finds products sales to be of utmost importance. As in many corporate organizations there are some rules to be followed, and the company prefers someone that "goes with the flow". There are usually yearly changes and restructures that all employees are expected to follow and not question. The company tends to promote based on revenue earned and not on hard work, or skill set. You may also be expected to work outside of a 40 hour work week with no compensation.

Advice to Management

Working in a team is essential. A title of senior management should not prevent you from understanding the entire team, and doing your best to create a cohesive work environment.

Great educational benefits, unsure of long-term career potential

Current Employee - Instructor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

The company's benefit package is above average, especially the access to discounted educational benefits. The starting pay seems fair, but unsure of pay of longer term employees. Most of the instructors are part time which allows this employee to work another career outside of Kaplan. Scheduling is very flexible.

Cons

Currently the company is in the midst of a reorganization and many employees are still unsure of the how the changes will affect them at this point.

Advice to Management

During times of change, continuing to keep the employees informed is extremely important. This includes short term as well as long term implications of the changes.