Kaplan University

www.kaplan.edu
  www.kaplan.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Kaplan University

A perfect job for me right now

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Kaplan University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Completely online, never have to leave my home to attend meetings or teach house, no need to commute, arrange childcare, etc. Most of the students are wonderful and very diligent.

Cons

The pay for large classes is the same as for much smaller classes. Same pay for 9 students as 30. Some of the students are not prepared.

Change the salary scale to be more fair. Teaching a class with 25+ students is extremely time-consuming and difficult and should be compensated accordingly.

180 Other Employee Reviews for Kaplan University (View Most Recent)

The grass is not always greener.

Former Employee - Training and Development in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Training and Development in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was exposed to a lot of experiences in business and was able to stretch and grow over the years.

Cons

When I was with them we experienced rapid growth and struggled with hitting the right people in Admissions in Chicago.

Invest more in hiring the right people from the start.

Decent first "real job", but that's about it.

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's nice to say you help put people in college for a living. After awhile, you'll know a little bit about a ton of different careers. The people are really nice. Benefits are good, pay is ok. Good starting job for a younger professional.

Cons

Kaplan used to be a fun, energetic place to work with the ability to grow monetarily based on sales (enrolling students). People were making money and life was good. Unfortunately that's no longer the case. Ever since for-profit schools like Kaplan and its competitors have had to reform their business model because of sketchy recruiting practices, its just become a place to collect a paycheck, with no ability to grow within the company--especially financially--yet it is still a hardcore sales job. In a true sales job, you are compensated for the business you bring in. Not at Kaplan. What's worse is that you are still expected to produce at a level that back in the day would have made you, at minium, a 65k/year sales rep.

Some managers are nice, but many of them are not qualified to be in their positions. For example, there are individuals in senior management that do not possess a college degree, yet are being compensated very well (110,000k + salaries) especially compared to regular sales reps. This is particularly stunning considering that to even have an interview to work at Kaplan one must have a Bachelor's degree.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaplan University