There are newer employer reviews for Kaplan University

Admissions is a low pay pie in the sky job.

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kaplan University

Pros

They have a training department that alerts you on what to watch out for once you are actually doing the job. They actually tell you what to expect in most cases during training. But it is so much worse than the trainers realize.. The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

This week we watched people who had been with this company for 2-3 years walk out. None of the management did anything to stop them. Your treated like a number, no matter what you do there is evidence somewhere that you have done it wrong. It's amazing how they are in a continual change mode. They have changed the pay program to the point that a good. adviser can not make much more than 35K a year. The stress level is high. Senior Management from Florida have no clue as to how they are making money. During the last ad blitz they recruited people to work odd shifts telling them how many calls they expected to get from additional advertising. When it didn't work, senior management showed up, took questions and told lies about how the advertising was to provide a HALO effect. I would have loved to have been the Television sales rep that sold them this bill of goods. Most of the advisers were told a few months back, that we were allowed to call ALASKA and Hawaii as soon as we received the lead.. This was from an ADOA at a huddle of about 70 advisers. When questioned the ADOA told the advisers that we were not held to the same rules as other call centers. The management will do anything to make their goals for their bonuses. They must be paid as poorly as the advisers and funding advisers. If you accept employment at this company be prepared to be fired at anytime for any reason. You won't make much money, no one does.... you are a number in a seat.

Advice to Management

Start paying the people you have. You can't make it on 30K a year as a SC. I would love to see upper management try to survive on that in today's economy. Start treating people with respect instead of attempting to find reasons to fire them. Do a little relationship building from the top down. The top management out of Florida couldn't manage there way out of a paper bag. They need a class on using common sense, and trusting people to do the right thing. Maybe the president / CEO should sell his yacht and pay more attention to lowering the tuition to increase sales/ excuse me Offer education to prospective students...there is a recession going on, oh ya, you all don't know what that's like.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Headless department running SharePoint team

Former Employee - Sharepoint Developer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Sharepoint Developer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Kaplan University

Pros

The office location on Cypress Creek is very nice, new and clean. They have a great on-site cafeteria. The two covered parking garages for employee use are a plus. Most of the employees I interacted with or observed at this office seemed young and energetic.

Cons

Lack of technical leadership was a major cause of concern. In my case it was the primary reason for terminating my contract. Millions of dollars are recklessly spent on SharePoint technology without giving the proper training to the team that needs to support the investment.

Advice to Management

Bring in technical leadership to help facilitate learning. The key areas (including SharePoint) should have plenty of training, not just capital equipment and licensing.

Great Perks but not great for an admissions advisor

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Kaplan University

Pros

Nice Perks, like health benefits, employee cafe, everyone tries to stay positive

Cons

If you are an admissions advisor, be prepared to work 60 hours/week with no overtime to meet your goals. You will be viewed as a "cog in the machine" and they will quickly replace you if you are not performing. There is no work-life balance, if you have to leave early take a personal day be prepared to be guilt-tripped as to why you shouldn't take time off. Be prepared to call prospective students on the day after thanksgiving and Christmas eve.

Advice to Management

Repsect your employees and don't treat them like they furniture, that you can throw out once you are done with them.