Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck

www.kdvlaw.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck

Great opportunity, if you manage it right.

Former Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck

Pros

Hands on experience on interesting cases, that allow younger attorneys a great opportunity to learn and grow. Fairly open and enjoyable culture which allows for meaningful relationships within coworkers and partners.

Cons

Chaotic management style that can confuse associates. Compensation package weaker than industry standard. Unclear billable system

Clarify communication skills and improve compensation package.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck (View Most Recent)

Top Notch Place to Work!

Former Employee - Associate in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in Woodbury, NY

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time

Pros

My experience at KDV was top notch. The partners in the Long Island Office's Labor and Employment Group are bright, skilled attorneys who are ready and willing to take associates under their wing to teach them the tools necessary (both practical legal skills and business acumen) to move up the ranks. The work environment is very collaborative and I always felt involved on the strategy and handling of the case from the day it came into the office and was assigned to me. Partners of course review work (their names are on the docket after all) but are always willing to sit down with you, point out why changes were made, and critique of work was always delivered in a constructive and meaningful way. The Chair of the L&E Group was like a mentor to me. He has an impressive book of business and a terrific relationship with those clients. However, he is not a partner that "protects" his clients and will give associates direct client contact and exposure - which can be tough to find at some firms. He makes known to his associates his offer to come on any meeting an associate can line up to try to bring in a new client to the Firm (and will of course give the associate the credit for that client). To top it off, KDV is a fun work environment with nice people to spend your work days with. In the time I worked there, I never heard any offensive or inappropriate comments, as some reviewers have suggested, and I find it hard to believe that occurred. For young attorneys who are hard working and eager to grow their career, this is a terrific place to get groomed and stay. I only left to go to take a position out of the law firm arena, and when I need to retain outside counsel, KDV will be my first call.

Cons

There is little I can say about KDV that was not positive.

Pass This Place Up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck

Pros

Secretarial staff and professional peers are fine people; attorneys in the employment practices and professional liability practice groups are genuinely good folks at all levels; great view of the Pacific and the hills. No other positives.

Cons

You will enjoy working in the insurance coverage/bad faith practice group at KDV if:
    - you like to be demeaned by partners who don't care about you and don't appreciate that you are doing their work;
    - you like to work for people who lack management and leadership skills and care only about their egos;
    - you don't mind being micro-managed by partners who are usually not in the office and don't care to review your work in a timely manner; and
    - you are able to take strictly verbal instructions, do what is asked, then don't mind when the partners don't remember what they told you to do and tell you to do it all differently once they finally get around to reviewing your work 30 days later.
    These are only some of the issues. Best to look elsewhere, whatever they pay you isn't worth the aggravation.

Get a clue, pay attention, fix the problem.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck