Keas

www.keas.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Keas

Great culture, smart people, egos checked at the door.

Current Employee - Finance/Administrative in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Finance/Administrative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to influence the direction of a company, massive opportunity and potential.

Significant opportunity to contribute and learn.

Fast paced environment with super-smart people.

Lots of responsibility and accountability.

Cons

Resources are still scare so you have to be scrappy. That being said I really like the challenge. It encourages innovation.

Keep doing what you're doing.

30 Other Employee Reviews for Keas (View Most Recent)

Amazing product. Terrible management.

Former Employee - Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Keas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is an amazing product that I, and you, will truly believe in. It will most likely go places, but ONLY under new management.

Cons

You'll learn a lot about what Keas does by their website: keas.com

I accepted the offer for my position because I believed in the product (still do). The product is designed to get people healthy in a fun way: through an interactive game. A really, really great product.

The problem lies with management.

How to best explain this is to say: Imagine a company that is very well funded with a great product being run by a 2 year old with the terrible 2s.

They lack direction. They don't have the knowledge to properly run a company. And they throw hissy fits when things don't go their way. How is this exhibited?

They sell a product before the product is finished.

The company is run, and dictated by the sales department. Why is this a problem?

If sales leads the direction of the product, the product is unable to evolve naturally. The product will be poke and prodded by different clients who need this, or need that, or the other. You are then left with a mish mash of sewn together needs, which destroys the product, and will eventually destroy Keas.

Good companies (yelp, twitter, facebook, square) don't allow their product to be dictated by sales. They focus their attention on the product and Voila! the product sells itself. The product does not bend to the needs of every client. Can you imagine what Yelp, or Facebook would look like if they listened to every paid advertiser and accepted all their requests. You'd have giant ads, with little room for social media.

If you're looking to work for Keas, this is what you should keep in mind:

The product is sold on the basis of what it "will do", instead of what it "does do." This leads to unrealistic deadlines, set by sales (not by engineers or creatives who can tell you how long it'll take), which equals extreme pressure regardless if you're in the sales, engineering, client services, marketing, or creative department.

Most successful companies simply say: This is a great product and all these features are available NOW. Not "will be" available.

And Keas has hired, and continues to hire great people. Smart. Out-going. Hard-working. Problem solvers. Think outside the box-ers. Work well under pressure. Etc. But....

Rather than work on the structure of new product releases, or new communication techniques with current and future clients, management lays blame on staff, and lets these smart/hardworking/incredible people go. Again, and again. One staff member after another. Sayonara! See ya never!

But you see: It's like any relationship: if you're constantly having problems with one person after another, and that problem is the same problem (they don't do this, or that, or the other) you have to look at the common denominator. And that common denominator is: you.

In summary: the problem lies in management itself. Not in the product. Not in old staff. Not in new staff. But simply, in management.

Let go (layoff) of yourselves. Get new jobs. And let more capable people run the company. As is, the company will fail.

Regrets

Current Contractor - Undisclosed in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Undisclosed in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

This company has a fun atmosphere. I'm enjoying the ping pong table, and the stocked kitchen. I also like the open space. No cubicles!

Cons

I do regret taking on my position. Let me explain why. There is an undercurrent of dishonesty at Keas. Management is very excited to bring you on board, talking about how great the company is doing, how successful they are, how successful you'll be, etc. And it's as if the next day you're working for a different group of people. They aren't excited anymore, constantly stressed, and at times extremely unprofessional: being short with you in meetings, condescending at times, not letting you express your opinion or throw in your two cents, being cutoff mid-sentence, etc.

While I do regret taking on this position, it does pay the bills, and I don't necessarily need to work on the weekends. Although there is pressure to check my email at all times of day and night.

Lastly, there aren't very many people at this company that have been here longer than a year. That says something.

I will stay on board for the time being, but my position has turned into what I had hoped it would not. The type of position I have a hard time getting up for in the morning.

I believe the key to success is in the people you hire. When you build excitement, people are excited, but if that excitement turns out to be a farce, then people are no longer excited, and will most likely move on to other opportunities. I know I will.

Keas Response

Jan 15, 2014CEO

Thanks for your feedback.

Please feel free to reach out directly if you would like to chat sometime.

Josh Stevens