Keiser University

www.keiseruniversity.edu
  www.keiseruniversity.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Keiser University

I work a good rewarding job on a great team but I am overworked.

Current Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Keiser University

Pros

They pay is good compared to other financial aid positions at other FL schools. Most student go to class on campus so you meet with them face to face. The atmosphere is close knit - the relationships among departments are very good.

Cons

The team I am on is grossly overworked. I joined 8 months ago and have regularly had to work overtime. The expectations the company wants you to reach are higher than the process allows, at least with the amount of people we have. The Financial Aid policies at Keiser seem to work against the company because it slows things down unnecessarily. If you don't meet the goals - mandatory overtime.

Higher more FAO's or study practices of other schools to improve the FA process. There are great people that work for Keiser, just more attention needs to be given to the process.

63 Other Employee Reviews for Keiser University (View Most Recent)

Awesome pay for veteran counselors but be prepared to work for it

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Counselor in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Admissions Counselor in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Keiser University

Pros

Pay can be very good (especially if you negotiate for it). I've personally had huge pay increases at review time, so basically doubled my starting salary over a 5 year period.
    Company is good about transferring to different campuses, even if you quit for another job, they are good about accepting you back if you left on good terms and gave notice.
    Good about working with counselors who are struggling and don't just can you quickly like other private schools do.
    They were rewarding top 10% with a cruise every year, but heard they don't do that anymore.
    They do a nice retreat every year, lots of meetings, but also nice hotel and wine and dine you;)

Cons

If you don't have a good DOA you probably aren't happy; favoritism is common!
    Work hours are ok but inconvenient (40 hours usually) but 9-6pm twice a week, 11-8pm twice a week, 9-5pm on Fridays and usually about 1 Saturday a month from 9-1pm. BUT, they will make you work Sat anytime the DOA deems necessary (i.e, missing start or before a start day). Open Houses and other events in the evenings every few months.
    Home for the holidays....not! Not very good about giving you enough time for holidays.
    Vacation "black out" dates make it hard, especially in the summer!

Try to promote from within more often! Less micro-managing with all the new telephone software and computer micro-managing. Just let them do their job first and then do what you need to if they're struggling. Less pressured and stressed employees will give you what you want faster and easeir and pulling it outta them. And please, give your employees internet access, my gosh, it's 2011.

Are all Adjunct college teachers paid and treated the same?

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I have been working at Keiser University

Pros

I love teaching at the college level. I have been in my field for over 25 years and am still passionate about it. Since Keiser is a career oriented college, and the course I teach is in general education , I don't have to deal with the publish or perish aspects of academia.
    I worked in public schools prior to my time at Keiser, . I wasn't teaching, but still working with students.
    What I do is gratifying, and I am glad that I have a job. However, it still matters to me what I am compensated and we are not allowed to talk to our colleagues on this topic.

Cons

There is no opportunity to be rewarded finacially for a job well done. There have been three administraion changes in something like four years. Things seem to improve, but it does give one a feeling of instability. Even the student body comments about it.
    Since it is a private univserity, student opinions matter. Of course, only the negative aspects. If they complain about you, you will be sure to hear about it, and possibly be let go. On the other hand, no matter how much work you do, nor how much the students surveys say they love you, you get nothing. On the envelope of my paycheck, the former president ( at least that's what it was signed) would sometimes write things like, "thanks for the great job you do" Two weeks ago I came in on Friday and there was the receptionist, writing a similar comment on EVERYONE'S envelope. Nothing like mass production to make you feel important.

Really take the time, and some money, to show how much we are appreciated. Getting rid of someone whom the students don't like, that's done all the time. Teachers the students love, however, we get, "gee thanks, keep up the good work."
    You could give us extra projects that we could be paid for. How about Christmas bonuses? The school is growing and we are its backbone.. Don't take us for granted. Burn out is too easy, and finding good, qualified people in this neck of the woods, is not so simple.

There are newer employer reviews for Keiser University