Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center

Pros

Fun and exciting place to work for a college student learning the hospitality industry. Great management and very flexible scheduling

Cons

The pay is not very good at all, very near minimum wage. Uniforms are tacky and uncomfortable. Management treats student workers like little kids.

Have a stronger training program for newly hired employees to get them more oriented to the work environment at the Kellogg.

5 Other Employee Reviews for Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center (View Most Recent)

Kellogg doesn't understand the role it plays in the larger university environment.

Former Employee - Bartender in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Bartender in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center

Pros

It was a relatively fun job and I enjoyed my time there, and I got paid incredibly well for my age

Cons

Management doesn't understand hospitality very well. There is extremely poor inter-departmental communication. The Staff doesn't understand the 'big picture' role that the building plays into the larger university environment.

You never know who could be hanging out in the bar or lobby. Sometimes these are the people cutting extremely substantial gifts to the university and it should be imperative that everyone be treated at an exceptional level of service.

What is more important a $5 beer here or there, a meal comped, or a $250K+ grant for the university? Consider the larger scope of your actions.

I enjoyed meeting such a diverse group of customers, co-workers, and VIP guests.

Current Employee - Cashier/Concierge At the State Room Restaurante in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center

Pros

Most if not all staff is entitled to a free meal during the work shift.
    Very clean and professional place to work.
    Michigan State University benefits are great!
    20% gratuity is included on all orders for room service.

Cons

Long and unpredictable hours.
    Stressful environment
    Rich up-tight guests are a pain to deal with, and there are a lot of them!
    Poor management choices are effecting work ethic among employees

Take some time and listen to your employee's requests.
    Sending the next week's work schedule to employees two days before the week starts is unacceptable.

There are newer employer reviews for Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center