Kenexa

There are newer employer reviews for Kenexa

Recruiter

Current Employee - Recruiter II in Research Triangle Park, NC
Current Employee - Recruiter II in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Kenexa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hard work tends to be rewarded. There are options to move into different roles when you are ready for a change. The company culture is great - Funexa provided ways I connect with others outside of your team.

Cons

After getting acquired by IBM, the company culture changed. It went from a fun, supportive environment to a strict corporate environment. The benefits are worse with IBM as well.

Invest in good employees, otherwise they will move on to better opportunities.

187 Other Employee Reviews for Kenexa (View Most Recent)

My experience has been wonderful.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Kenexa as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, professionalism, great people, option to work from home.

Cons

Job ending, hard to move around within the company.

Look within to promote and move people into open positions.

Great company name and benefits, but very poorly-organized and managed.

Current Employee - Recruiter I in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Recruiter I in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Kenexa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of work-life balance potential and flexibility in my team (probably too much in favor of the employee).

IBM has very good benefits and PTO (as long as you don't start in the fourth quarter of the year, in which case your PTO is going to be drastically less than everyone else's because you won't be eligible for any floating holidays that aren't pre-determined by your site).

There is minimal structure and accountability (in my team, anyway). There is no real micromanagement and a lot of flexibility to do you own thing as long as you meet basic objectives.

There are smart people within the company (even if they're not on your team) that you can interact with, and there are some good opportunities for self-directed online training.

There is great potential to do interesting work for high-profile clients.

Cons

Personally, I did a stupid thing by voluntarily taking a paycut, a demotion, and relocating myself (without assistance) to join Kenexa / IBM because I thought that if there was ever a company worth doing this for, then it would be IBM (yes, I am aware of the logical fallacy of taking less money to join a Fortune 20 company). I thought that the ability to work for IBM would be a benefit in and of itself. I was very wrong for several reasons:

- First, this is, by far, the least-organized company that I've ever worked for. The "HR" staff at my site did not know that I was going to show up on my first day because there was some kind of an issue with their HRIS system (imagine that, IBM having IT system issues). It took almost one week to get me a computer, 3 full weeks to get me a working phone & phone #, 3.5 weeks to get me a notepad & a pen, and a little over 3.5 weeks to get my "Welcome to IBM - pre-hire" email. I've never fallen through the cracks of a previous employer before starting, but I suspect that there are two major reasons at work here: first, this is probably part of the hassle of fully-integrating Kenexa into IBM. Second, IBM does a lot of outsourcing, off-shoring, and virtualization / centralization of their corporate functions. While that is not all inherently bad, it is inherently complicated, and IBM does not coordinate very well with the moving pieces. Also, their infrastructure is overly complicated, making simple things unnecessarily harder and slower.

- Second, it was a step backwards technologically - I realized after working there that I am not a fan of IBM Lotus Notes and IBM Symphony (their inferior alternatives to MS-Outlook and MS-Office). While I am able to submit a request in their IT system to get MS-Office (which I actually need in order to access my client's system), due to a system error (most likely the one that enabled the HR team not to know that I was showing up on my first day), my request was not reviewed and eventually expired. Also, when I finally got a phone, I realized how much I take caller ID for granted (as I have no way of knowing who's calling me or who's leaving voicemails for me until actually answering their call or listening to their voicemail messages).

- Third, while the people that I work with are nice, I can't say that I am very impressed by the people who are ranked above me in terms of professional abilities. On paper and in reality, I am as qualified (if not more qualified) than they are, so I personally don't see much learning potential beyond how to serve our specific client (knowledge which is not very transferable). Also, in my team, it is very easy to float and/or do sub-par work because there is little emphasis on accountability. I happen to put a lot of time into doing the job the right way and documenting my work, but that is because I have the experience to know better.

- Fourth, my manager is not on-site, and has made it pretty clear that they just don't care all that much. I knew that I was overqualified for my current role, and when it was clear that it was a mistake for me to take this job AND there was a higher-level opening (which I was also overqualified for), they refused to consider me for the higher-level role because I was still "too new." Also, they stood me up for 3 phone calls, and when I submitted my resignation 2 months after starting, they barely said anything at all and did not care to ask me why I am leaving (which pretty much sums it up, anyway).

That being stated, just to be clear, I only blame myself for my poor experience with Kenexa / IBM - I had stars in my eyes with the IBM name. In hindsight, I should have just refused the position and waited for a higher level role with IBM or another company. My advice is that if you do choose to come to work here, just make sure that you have some kind of tangible reason for taking the job (especially if you are already employed).

Live the corporate values by making operations more straightforward, and focus on providing high-quality deliverables to your clients by ensuring that your managers know and care about the employees and the clients. Also, make sure that you have proactive managers who are willing to tell you when your processes and your systems don't work.

There are newer employer reviews for Kenexa