Kennametal

www.kennametal.com
  www.kennametal.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kennametal

Better than average for this area(Traverse City, MI).

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Traverse City, MI
Current Employee - Machine Operator in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Kennametal

Pros

Decent pay. Good overtime for some departments. You have to really screw up big time to get fired(which might be considered a "con" too) They are really understanding about fitting your home life with work. They let me take long lunches when I took college classes, and let me come in late when I need to pick up my kids. Good tuition reimbursement program. They paid tens of thousands of dollars for my BS and encouraged me to get it, even though my job barely requires a HS Diploma. They seem to be good about letting one advance if they are willing to move around the country.

Cons

A lot of politics goes on here. The people who wine/tattle/b*tch the most get their way. They are also overzealous about safety, or at least appearing to be safe. It's to the point where it is getting hard to do our jobs.

I think that they should bring back the bonus program or at least have some type of profit sharing program. I understand that times were tough for a while, but we seem to be getting tons of sales recently. Some kind of bonus system would motivate us to do what is in the best interests of the owners and management, and work towards a profitable company, not just getting hours.

79 Other Employee Reviews for Kennametal (View Most Recent)

Kennametal - A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Latrobe, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Latrobe, PA

I have been working at Kennametal

Pros

Great location(except for young, singles)! Global opportunities. Very fair pay and benefits. Management understanding of work/life balance. Great people to work with.

Cons

Lack of standard processes. Influence of IT on the operation of the business. Somewhat engineering led company at the expense of being customer oriented.

Keep the focus on the customer and the company financials. Provide clearer vision of overall strategy and direction for the company.

Mr and Miss-managment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenfield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenfield, MA

I have been working at Kennametal

Pros

The pay is adiquate and the benifits are up there, all due to a union the fights hard for these benifits not because the company wants to pay for them.

Cons

Working for a plant manager who is more interested in corprate image and not real operation of the one plant. His corprate image style forces policies on us that don't fit our manufacturing. he is trying to force a square in our round hole.

Also dealing with the "INHUMANE RESOURCES" Taryn Blair the most inpersonal and unprofessional and incompetent person for the job. most new employees since she has started have most if not all of there benifits screwed up in one way or another all by her. As she comes to work dressed in GOTH garb, Grow up Taryn you are suppose to be a professional.

Advice for Carlos. You have put in place a plant manager who has failed at every other job he has had and is failing here, ie; every week pumping nubers up to look like we are still doing good even though we are going backwards,sells off 8000 gallons of oil to make his budget buring a time when oil is going out of control, we haven't had a labor Arbotration in about 10 years and now since Rick and Taryn we have 3 current with probably more to come, He has 2 NLRB cases against him again probably with more to come, he has OSHA called on him do I need to say it? these two Taryn and Rick are not just counter productive to the people on the floor(union member) but more importatly they are counter productive to the whole company. even thou it is well known you may have put these two in place to break the union we beleive this will be couter productive for this company as a whole.

So my advice is Fire Rick and Taryn and lets move toward a more productive company

There are newer employer reviews for Kennametal