Kennedy Jenks

www.kennedyjenks.com
  www.kennedyjenks.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kennedy Jenks

Great people, grew a bit too fast and lost the family culture, laid back environment

I worked at Kennedy Jenks

Pros

The people that work at Kennedy/Jenks are technically skilled, and it was great getting to know them personally and professionally. The office I worked in was very laid back with little to no micromanaging. Between the environmental practice and the water/wastewater sector, there were opportunities to work on a wide variety of projects. Personal time off and flexible work schedule/hours were never a problem.

Cons

There is little accountability for the work being done, despite the corporate message of quality assurance and control. In my office, the managerial structure was very loose and nearly non-existent, and the annual review process was not helpful. Because you didn't have a manager with a small number of direct reports, your career path and professional development were vague and ambiguous. The company grew too big too fast and has lost the family-run "K/J Way" that made it a great place to work under David Kennedy.

Get back the K/J Way of doing business and treating employees. Structure management within each office such that managers have no more than 6-8 direct reports that they can get to know and provide constructive feedback.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Kennedy Jenks (View Most Recent)

Great opportunities for growth and mentorship

Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Kennedy/Jenks in Denver for 7 years. I started as a staff engineer with four years of experience, and have since been promoted to project engineer, senior project engineer, and now project manager. I have been given great opportunities to grow my career through technical and managerial mentorship and guidance. One of my favorite things about the company is that we are small enough to have the opportunity to get to know everyone in the company, including our executive leadership, and we are also big to have all the resources and expertise that we need. We have ~200 staff that work in the water / wastewater engineering industry. There isn't a water / wastewater problem we can't solve and that is exciting and powerful. On top of the great opportunities for growth and mentorship, Kennedy/Jenks is an employee-owned firm. Which means when we do well, we all receive benefits through bonuses and investments in the firm. This keeps our employees motivated to do well. In Denver I have a plethora of choices of firms to work for in the water / wastewater industry. I have no intention of leaving KJ. I really respect and appreciate the opportunities for growth and mentorship, the company culture, and the strong leadership that KJ has to offer and I don't think I could be happier at another firm.

Cons

While every firm had its ups and down through the recession, I think KJ has done a great job of stabilizing itself and becoming a better firm. I don't have any Cons to share.

Company with Promise

Current Employee - Civil Engineer
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Kennedy/Jenks (K/J) is a great company to gain valuable experience on a variety of projects and work with some smart people with many years of experience and institutional knowledge. For those that are willing to push themselves, there are opportunities available to take on tasks and roles that are above and beyond what you would get from a large company. K/J recently underwent a reorganization splitting the company into two business units, an Environmental/Industrial business unit and a water/infrastructure business unit, and this reorganization also led to restructuring and some substantial changes in leadership. The company leadership (old and new) is working hard to steer the company back on course and achieve organic growth by following a strategic plan that was developed by input from employees at every level (yes...as a junior engineer, I was able to voice my opinions to our CEO and other managers about where in the company I saw room for improvement, and I got to express what mattered to me in both the short and long term). There was a lot of focus on the new direction, conveying the message, and getting 'buy in" from staff. There are still kinks being worked out, but K/J has come a long way to dig itself out of a recession which hit the entire A/E industry pretty hard. I'm hopeful that with improving finances, the company will continue to grow and invest in its employees (bonuses, salary increases, and professional development opportunities). I've also really appreciated the fact that K/J is fairly flexible on hours and schedules, and that you can somewhat "build your own practice" within the company. K/J has a rich history, solid values, and has earned the respect and confidence of clients for almost a hundred years, and I believe this client-focused and quality/results driven mindset will help to propel K/J as a leading firm in the industry.

Cons

It is the nature of consulting to sometimes be extremely busy for weeks and then have lull periods where one might be looking for anything to fill his or her time, but K/J could do a little bit better job of recognizing workloads and distributing these loads. Individuals at K/J can be left to fend for themselves sometimes when it comes to finding billable work, which I've seen can be hard for some that don't have the personality to go and ask, but a little bit more guidance on how to constructively use their time during these slow periods could go a long way in reducing stress and the pressure of meeting utilization goals. After the re-organization (which I feel was much-needed) the company could do better when it comes to defining the new roles and responsibilities within the revised organization structure.

Continue to push the company and employees toward growth and innovation. We can't get too stuck in the "how we've always done it" mentality, but developing employees and holding different trainings can go a long way in eliminating this mentality, and it also encourages collaboration, builds stronger teams and internal networks, and creates even more valuable employees. Seek out the "doers" when recruiting and work to retain the results-driven employees that make positive impacts on the company. All in all...keep up the good work, keep up the open communication, and keep the momentum going forward!

There are newer employer reviews for Kennedy Jenks