Kennedy Jenks

www.kennedyjenks.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kennedy Jenks

Great people, grew a bit too fast and lost the family culture, laid back environment

I worked at Kennedy Jenks

Pros

The people that work at Kennedy/Jenks are technically skilled, and it was great getting to know them personally and professionally. The office I worked in was very laid back with little to no micromanaging. Between the environmental practice and the water/wastewater sector, there were opportunities to work on a wide variety of projects. Personal time off and flexible work schedule/hours were never a problem.

Cons

There is little accountability for the work being done, despite the corporate message of quality assurance and control. In my office, the managerial structure was very loose and nearly non-existent, and the annual review process was not helpful. Because you didn't have a manager with a small number of direct reports, your career path and professional development were vague and ambiguous. The company grew too big too fast and has lost the family-run "K/J Way" that made it a great place to work under David Kennedy.

Get back the K/J Way of doing business and treating employees. Structure management within each office such that managers have no more than 6-8 direct reports that they can get to know and provide constructive feedback.

10 Other Employee Reviews for Kennedy Jenks (View Most Recent)

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kennedy Jenks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, interesting projects, great experience

Cons

During slow months the work load decreased some

Great opportunities for growth and mentorship

Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Kennedy/Jenks in Denver for 7 years. I started as a staff engineer with four years of experience, and have since been promoted to project engineer, senior project engineer, and now project manager. I have been given great opportunities to grow my career through technical and managerial mentorship and guidance. One of my favorite things about the company is that we are small enough to have the opportunity to get to know everyone in the company, including our executive leadership, and we are also big to have all the resources and expertise that we need. We have ~200 staff that work in the water / wastewater engineering industry. There isn't a water / wastewater problem we can't solve and that is exciting and powerful. On top of the great opportunities for growth and mentorship, Kennedy/Jenks is an employee-owned firm. Which means when we do well, we all receive benefits through bonuses and investments in the firm. This keeps our employees motivated to do well. In Denver I have a plethora of choices of firms to work for in the water / wastewater industry. I have no intention of leaving KJ. I really respect and appreciate the opportunities for growth and mentorship, the company culture, and the strong leadership that KJ has to offer and I don't think I could be happier at another firm.

Cons

While every firm had its ups and down through the recession, I think KJ has done a great job of stabilizing itself and becoming a better firm. I don't have any Cons to share.

There are newer employer reviews for Kennedy Jenks