Kennedy Krieger Institute

www.kennedykrieger.org
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Kennedy Krieger Institute

Overall satisfied, but there's lots of space to improve!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kennedy Krieger has a lot of great benefits such as a 401k (KKI will match up to 3% of your salary here), paid tuition, and reduced tuition (50% if I remember correctly) for your children. Health benefits, sick leave, and vacation seem to be very reasonable. I work in a position where hours are flexible. The staff is incredibly helpful and pleasant to work with. There is a 'pay it forward' mentality with respect to training.

Cons

The pay is considerably lower than what you'd expect from a government or private industry position. If funding runs dry, expect to see people let go until more prospects arise. Your work experience will entirely depend on your supervisor. I have witnessed quite a bit of favoritism that's based on personal rather than professional relationships. My experience with respect to supervisors has been less than pleasant - very unprofessional and immature, especially when comparing to such great staff. Being a hospital and research facility, expect to work weekends and holidays if needed.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to challenge supervisors for their actions and attitudes. You could really boost morale, and unlike staff, you won't risk your job for it!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Kennedy Krieger is a great work environment, filled with great people, and with a wonderful reputation.

Current Employee - Clinician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time

Pros

The administration is flexible and collaborative, the hours are reasonable, and the health benefits are some of the best in the world (Johns Hopkins). They are also very supportive of professional development, including providing some funding for conferences and trainings.

Cons

It is in Baltimore, which is not my favorite city (though it has its benefits), the pay isn't awesome, and there isn't as much inter-departmental collaboration as there could be.

2. Good company, rough department

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meaningful work, good culture and management was overall very nice and helpful.

Cons

Working in the NBU can be tough, the patients are some of the most intense...CAs are underpaid, work schedules are predetermined and inflexible with the exception that they will work around any classes you are taking.

Advice to Management

Would be helpful to find a better way to do scheduling. Have the employees actually talk to the administration rather than just submit preferences and hope for the best.