Kennedy Krieger Institute

www.kennedykrieger.org
  www.kennedykrieger.org
There are newer employer reviews for Kennedy Krieger Institute

Since I have a Psych degree the one-to-one care, and treatments I learned were worth it. I worked there for 3yrs.

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-You meet great people that will most likely become life-long friends.
-If your into human behavior this is definitely a perfect place to gain experience with harder disorders.
-A great place to move up in your career. (The overall hospital not the Neurobehavioral Unit).
-Tuition reimbursement after 6 months.

Cons

-Time off is difficult depending on staffing.
- FT you have to work all weekends. PT you have to work 1 weekend day most likely an eve shift.
-No union due to the hospital being Non-profit, meaning your job is not secure and a rumor may get your fired so be careful.
-Expect to be injured, and they will not compensate you until your 4th day out of work.
-Turn over rate is high due to injury, and severity of how dangerous the job can be.
-The recruiter looks for former graduates and college students because school is reimbursed, however you may not receive this reimbursement until after 6 months and during the interview you are told that you probably wont make it to six months because the turn-over rate is so high.
-Employee appreciation rarely exists, so expect long hours, mandatory overtime, lots of on-calls, no weekends off, no holidays off, sometimes you will not have a break, and write-ups are very common.
-Supervisors can be unreliable, childish, and treat employees as if they are children despite the knowledge or work ethic.
-While training on the unit current employees are told to hide the truth behind the job as a means to not scare prospective employees off.
-Almost every employee hates the job and expresses it while working.
-For the amount of work and hours, the pay is just a touch over minimum wage. (And this includes the raises that were given in 2014)
-When asking a supervisor a question expect to be redirected multiple times because no one ever knows the solution.

-Increase pay
-Appreciate employees.
-improve working conditions.

27 Other Employee Reviews for Kennedy Krieger Institute (View Most Recent)

Clinical Assistant I

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very hard work and out of this world experiences, people will not be able to relate to you or understand the work you do and that's what makes this job so special. Because you're doing one of a kind work and helping children and others with autism and behavioral disorders that are extreme cases from around the world.

Cons

Hard work. Be humble. Prepare to be a father or mother in training, you'll be picking up and cleaning your patient, and more likely yourself of your patient's pee, vomit, poop, and God knows what else. If something like this can turn you off, don't bother. It is an acquired skill to tolerate all these and definitely possible. Very stressful at the beginning but you get used to it, and stress goes down after 3 months.

The more rules, the less the job is enjoyable.

Mostly happy.

Current Employee - Developmental Pediatrician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Developmental Pediatrician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Positive work environment. It's all about helping children with disabilities and disorders of brain and spinal cord.

Cons

Large organization. Relatively low salaries.

There are newer employer reviews for Kennedy Krieger Institute