Kent State
www.kent.edu Kent, OH 5000+ Employees

It all depends on who you work for.

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kent State full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIn my group, there was a lot of support available when needed. Networking opportunities were plentiful. I can't say for sure, but even though I'm only three years into my program, I feel comfortable in my job prospects.

ConsThe university seems to waste money in some areas and not spend at all in others. Basic maintenance/upkeep seems lacking. Some advisers seem much worse than others. Seeking outside experiences during your degree seems to be discouraged instead of encouraged because it "gets in the way" of your dissertation research. In one of my old research groups, I was specifically told that I shouldn't try to get a fellowship because it just makes things complicated. Though I know that this is partially the way it should be, it would have been nice if expectations were a made a little bit more clear early on.
Biggest con: Horrible pay. We even get paid less than other comparable departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementPolicies should be more clear. Communication should be better. Otherwise, I can't say anything my department should be doing better. The university, however, has some severe shortcomings, but probably nothing that isn't wrong with a lot of large universities. Consider ways to offer benefits to graduate students with children/families.

Special Assistant

Special Assistant (Current Employee)
Kent, OH

I have been working at Kent State full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Tuition waiver. Awesome!!!!! Good benefits. Some flexibility. Cons: It is difficult to get acknowledged in this company if you aren't faculty. Too many in upper management and when cuts are made… Advice to Senior Management: Acknowledge those of us that do the majority of the work. We… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Working at Kent State

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee)
Kent, OH

I worked at Kent State full-time for less than a year

Pros: great colleages, great campus infrastructure, access to library, leaving in… Cons: leaving in Kent, OH area Advice to Senior Management: less managing of research part of scientist jobs Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Kent State.

Worked for Kent State? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kent State reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kent State CEO Lester A. Lefton. All reviews posted anonymously by Kent State employees.