Kent State

www.kent.edu
  www.kent.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Kent State

It all depends on who you work for.

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant
Current Employee - Graduate Assistant

I have been working at Kent State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my group, there was a lot of support available when needed. Networking opportunities were plentiful. I can't say for sure, but even though I'm only three years into my program, I feel comfortable in my job prospects.

Cons

The university seems to waste money in some areas and not spend at all in others. Basic maintenance/upkeep seems lacking. Some advisers seem much worse than others. Seeking outside experiences during your degree seems to be discouraged instead of encouraged because it "gets in the way" of your dissertation research. In one of my old research groups, I was specifically told that I shouldn't try to get a fellowship because it just makes things complicated. Though I know that this is partially the way it should be, it would have been nice if expectations were a made a little bit more clear early on.
Biggest con: Horrible pay. We even get paid less than other comparable departments.

Policies should be more clear. Communication should be better. Otherwise, I can't say anything my department should be doing better. The university, however, has some severe shortcomings, but probably nothing that isn't wrong with a lot of large universities. Consider ways to offer benefits to graduate students with children/families.

90 Other Employee Reviews for Kent State (View Most Recent)

Special Assistant

Current Employee - Special Assistant in Kent, OH
    Current Employee - Special Assistant in Kent, OH

I have been working at Kent State full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tuition waiver. Awesome!!!!! Good benefits. Some flexibility.

Cons

It is difficult to get acknowledged in this company if you aren't faculty. Too many in upper management and when cuts are made it's with those not in management and then those left are expected to pick up the extra work left due to the cuts.

Acknowledge those of us that do the majority of the work. We have a lot to offer the university even though we aren't faculty.

Working at Kent State

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Kent, OH
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Kent, OH

I worked at Kent State full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great colleages, great campus infrastructure, access to library, leaving in Kent, OH area

Cons

leaving in Kent, OH area

less managing of research part of scientist jobs

There are newer employer reviews for Kent State