Not bad, not great.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at KeyBank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very intelligent people at Key, especially on the Capital Markets side; as such it can be a great place to learn from more-seasoned colleagues. Good benefits, generous PTO policy. Strong balance sheet. The Corporate Bank is trending in the right direction and improving reputation.

Cons

As is the case with many large companies, the work environment is largely dependent on your specific group or department and manager. There are some fantastic leaders, and there are also some incompetent ones; in the latter situation, it can be extremely frustrating. I imagine this is not a unique characteristic. Senior executives seem to lack the ability to plan effectively for the future. There are many corporate-wide initiatives that either die quickly, or last a short while only to be reversed completely down the road. An example is the branch network: a few years ago there was a large push to open branches and increase density within Key's footprint...in 2013, many branches are closing (some that were opened in the last 12 months) and I'm guessing a lot of money was wasted in the process. It seems like things are constantly changing- it comes off as "figure it out as we go." If you are not based in Cleveland, it is very difficult to advance your career or move laterally within the company (I can only speak of the Corporate Bank in this regard).

Advice to Management

Have better foresight; it seems every bank (regional or otherwise) has done a quality job in being ahead of the curve as far as industry trends are concerned, while Key has lagged. Continue to de-risk the balance sheet and don't get dragged back into the old investment banking habits circa 2007. If you're going to have a very spread-out footprint, treat all employees equally, regardless of geography. There are quality employees outside of Cleveland that could probably improve the company if given the opportunity to advance. Conversely, don't be afraid to cut dead-weight.

Other Employee Reviews for KeyBank

1. Hard Earmed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at KeyBank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous Vacation and Retirement compared to industry standards

Cons

Low Base Salary comparatively Always looking for cheapest option instead of most effective

Advice to Management

Compete and spend money

High Stress and Low Pay

Former Employee - Teller I in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Teller I in Portland, ME

I worked at KeyBank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All holidays paid, 9-5 work schedule with the majority of the weekend free, good benefits and 401K

Cons

Frequently reprimanded for not meeting sales/referral goals. Tellers are expected to sell products rather than provide quality customer service. Company sets unrealistic sales/referral goals and encourages competition over teamwork in the branches. Tellers stealing referral opportunities from other employees or taking credit for referrals they did not earn happens frequently.

Advice to Management

Let the tellers focus on quality customer service and accurate transaction processing, rather than stress over sales. Leave the sales to the managers. Tellers aren't paid enough for the amount of demands put upon them.