KeyBank

www.key.com

Not bad, not great.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThere are some very intelligent people at Key, especially on the Capital Markets side; as such it can be a great place to learn from more-seasoned colleagues.
Good benefits, generous PTO policy.
Strong balance sheet.
The Corporate Bank is trending in the right direction and improving reputation.

ConsAs is the case with many large companies, the work environment is largely dependent on your specific group or department and manager. There are some fantastic leaders, and there are also some incompetent ones; in the latter situation, it can be extremely frustrating. I imagine this is not a unique characteristic.
Senior executives seem to lack the ability to plan effectively for the future. There are many corporate-wide initiatives that either die quickly, or last a short while only to be reversed completely down the road. An example is the branch network: a few years ago there was a large push to open branches and increase density within Key's footprint...in 2013, many branches are closing (some that were opened in the last 12 months) and I'm guessing a lot of money was wasted in the process. It seems like things are constantly changing- it comes off as "figure it out as we go."
If you are not based in Cleveland, it is very difficult to advance your career or move laterally within the company (I can only speak of the Corporate Bank in this regard).

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better foresight; it seems every bank (regional or otherwise) has done a quality job in being ahead of the curve as far as industry trends are concerned, while Key has lagged.
Continue to de-risk the balance sheet and don't get dragged back into the old investment banking habits circa 2007.
If you're going to have a very spread-out footprint, treat all employees equally, regardless of geography. There are quality employees outside of Cleveland that could probably improve the company if given the opportunity to advance. Conversely, don't be afraid to cut dead-weight.

My work experience at Key has been interesting.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

I have been working at KeyBank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Key is a strong leader in the community. Cons: Some recent strategic decisions are questionable. Advice to Senior Management: I have no advice at this time. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Hard Earmed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Albany, NY

I worked at KeyBank full-time for more than a year

Pros: Generous Vacation and Retirement compared to industry standards Cons: Low Base Salary comparatively Always looking for cheapest option instead of… Advice to Senior Management: Compete and spend money No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on KeyBank.

Worked for KeyBank? Contribute to the Community!