Keystone Strategy
www.keystonestrategy.com Cambridge, MA 50 to 149 Employees

Great accelerated experience for the driven types

Analyst (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Keystone Strategy full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople: These are some of the most talented and nice people I've met. Keystone hires mainly from top schools and while Keystone is not as well known as other consulting firms, I've worked with Fulbright scholars, ex-BCGers and ex-McKinsey guys so you know that there's something that attracts these people. The firm is made up of a mix of MBAs, PHDs and JDs because of the mix of strategy and economic consulting work.

Work: While Keystone is a smaller player in the space, it's connections with Harvard Business School (it's founder is a technology professor there) really helps to land big clients. In my time at Keystone, I've worked for a Fortune 10 to Fortune 500 companies. In the past year, the partners at the firm have worked hard to diversify beyond technology and they have had some success. The firm recently had a huge case with a top consumer products company (one that 99% of the population knows) and I believe will keep diversifying over time. Keystone did start with one large client, but the work has definitely diversified over time.

Culture: It's fun here. Keystone has a very entrepreneurial feel and it works best for people who are driven to do more, are independent and responsible for their learning goals and ambitions. Given that, there's a lot of room to rise above what a typical analyst at other firms do. Because the firm is small and less established, you will have the opportunity to take on as much as you are ready to do.

Development: Keystone recently hired a director from McKinsey who used to train engagement managers there. The firm has been light on training but this is a significant step towards building a solid training program and personal development process.

ConsTo give a balanced view, here are some of the cons.

Structure: The downside to Keystone not being as established is that (as another employee mentioned) experiences may vary more widely than at a larger firm. Sometimes you may need to work to get the experience you really expect. While it feels like Keystone is a top-heavy company with a good number of partners, they are often working intensely on multiple projects and don't always have time to give you active coaching UNLESS you ask for it. To be clear, almost every partner I've known are 100% open to giving you the time when you ask for it. They just are busy and don't really have wide spans of open time so you just need to ask for time. When time is set, they give you full attention and give you as much guidance as you need. With that said, I don't think senior partners at consulting firms ever have wide spans of open time either!

Projects: Keystone does both economic consulting and strategy and these have a different pace. Anyone who looks to work here should be open to both areas. Keystone's approach to economic consulting is pretty close to strategy and not as much alike as other econ firms like Cornerstone or Analysis Group. The strategy cases usually have a much higher tempo and econ cases are lower tempo but longer - sometimes projects can run for a few months.

On the whole, these issues can be mitigated as long as you take an active role in your own development. Know what you want and you'll most likely get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great to have more personal attention and a more structured mentoring process. Keep pushing on diversifying projects, it's getting somewhere.

Boutique Strategy Consulting Firm

Consultant (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Keystone Strategy full-time for more than a year

Pros: Minimal travel compared to other consulting firms, flexible working style,… Cons: Lack of training process. Almost all projects focused on one client. Lack… Advice to Senior Management: - Get more diverse projects - Training and management process for… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A great alternative to the big consulting firms

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Keystone Strategy full-time for less than a year

Pros: A couple of things distinguish Keystone as a great place to work. Two key features are the entrepreneurial spirit and small firm size. Combined, these… Cons: Because of the size and company culture, analyst experiences can… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Keystone Strategy.

Worked for Keystone Strategy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Keystone Strategy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Keystone Strategy CEO Greg Richards. All reviews posted anonymously by Keystone Strategy employees.