opportunities

Current Contractor - Producer in New York, NY
Current Contractor - Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at Kids ‘R’ Kids as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Launch new carriers
A lot of business travels
Great learning experience
Working with interesting people
Great location

Cons

High requirements, exhausting working schedule

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Kids are NOT Just Kids

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Wesley Chapel, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Wesley Chapel, FL

I worked at Kids ‘R’ Kids

Pros

It's clean. Teachers don't have to create their own lesson plans, so every Kids R Kids has the same curriculum/ lessons. The teachers are very good at their jobs, but when you look at them, you can see how unhappy and worn out they are from the children.

Cons

I was extremely dissatisfied with the quality of learning at Kids R Kids for several reasons:

1. The school is run like an absolute circus. At Kids R Kids, the motto is, "hug first, then teach" which means, "Oh well, kids are kids." Instead of disciplining the children when they have done something wrong, they redirect/ distract them. The children do not learn consequences for their actions, but instead are just guided to do something else when they are misbehaving. On paper, it sounds like a wonderful place for children to learn and grow, because they are encouraged to play nicely together and creatively together, but it doesn't work when there are 20 children in a classroom with no discipline.

At Kids R Kids, the teachers are not allowed to give any sort of punishment to the children, which means there are never any negative consequences for their actions. You are only supposed to use positive re-enforcement and when you reward one child, you are supposed to reward all of them. You cannot use time-out or taking away privileges as a form of punishment. You can't even tell a child, "no, don't do that" when they are doing something wrong, and instead are supposed to ask, "are you doing what you're supposed to be doing?" or "is that nice behavior?"

In the short while I was at Kids R Kids, I was kicked, hit, spat on, and had toys thrown at me by children. I was also cursed at and yelled at by 3-year old's and according to the rules, I was not allowed to do anything in the form of discipline when I was treated that way. I was supposed to rationalize with them and use only positive words to get them to calm down. But in doing that, the children do not respect the teachers at all. They are basically free to roam around and do whatever they feel like, with absolutely no consequence at all and you are just there to suggest/ try to get them to do what they are supposed to be doing.

Every single classroom was run in this fashion and the children's behavior was some of the worst I have ever seen in my 5 years of child care experience. This style of teaching probably works really well when there are only a few students who are already well behaved children. But when there are 20 children in a classroom and half of them are already not well behaved, then it is extremely difficult to teach a lesson or get anything done in the classroom.

2. At the school where I worked, they fired the custodial company that was in charge of the cleaning of all the classrooms. All of the teachers were told that it was now their responsibility to do all of the cleaning of the facility, which included cleaning toilets and mopping floors. I believe the teachers are already are not paid enough for their incredibly difficult jobs of managing unruly children, but especially not when you add in custodial duties as well. Teachers are not trained in cleaning the school and should not be expected to mop and vacuum and do other cleaning duties when most of them are making less than 10 dollars an hour.

3. When children (have a fever) are sick at Kids R Kids, they are supposed to be removed from the classroom and put in the "boo boo room" until their parents come to pick them up. Twice while I was working at Kids R Kids, there were students with fevers who were not removed from the classroom and put in the sick room to wait for their parents. We had one child who was screaming and crying in the classroom because she felt so sick and had a high fever, and when I asked the director to put her in the sick room she said no because SHE didn't want to get sick and she didn't want to hear her crying at the front desk. So instead, we had to keep her in the classroom, with 15 other children, trying to teach a lesson plan. It was impossible to get anything done at all because the children already were unruly and misbehaving, and then we had to deal with a sick child crying and screaming.

Advice to Management

They really need to adopt a different style of teaching at Kids R Kids because they are not teaching kids to be responsible for their actions. I think the teachers, the children, and the parents would benefit from there being some sort of discipline.

2. All in all it was an ok experience. I learned a lot and made some great friends. The director at Kids R Kids was great.

Former Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Conroe, TX

I worked at Kids ‘R’ Kids

Pros

My boss was great and very understanding and worked with me when I needed to take time off for doctors appointments, etc.

Cons

There were no benefits, we didn't have any days off for Christmas or New Years because the owners didn't want to pay the employees holiday pay. The raises were terrible, about $.20 a year. Absolutely no opportunities for advancement. This was basically a job for high school or college students, there is a very big turn over ratio.

Advice to Management

Kids R Kids would be a much better place to work if they offered more/better benefits and better raises.