they treat you like a real person. Safety first always

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kapuskasing, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kapuskasing, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

great salary and a wide variety of jobs. I like to work for this company because they take the time to listen to your suggestions whatever they are

Cons

for my line of work the jobs aren't long term. I don't know how long the job will last that I am currently working on, but it pays well and is enjoyable.

great run company. Nice to be a part of a well run company. A team from their head office in Omaha Nebraska had a meeting with us on site and asked what were some need improvements for the site I am on. I thought that was a smart decision

Other Reviews for Kiewit Corporation

IT Department Review

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are a lot of great benefits available to the entire company:
     1) 401k is pretty good. 6% match, 4% profit sharing. Investment choices could be better.
     2) Good medical, dental, vision, etc. A health screening is required and you may have to do extra activities to get the lowest premium. It's good to have the screening, but can be annoying if you have to do extra activities.
     3) Corporate discounts from other companies, such as Sprint, AT&T, CDW, Dell, etc.
     4) People. There are a lot of bright, intelligent good people who work hard to make the company successful. There used to be more.
     5) Work. There is a lot of work and you can get experience in many different areas. You can get a lot of great experience, which would be great as a resume builder.

Cons

Through the first several years at Kiewit, I though it would be a good long-term profession. Great benefits, great 401k, great experience. However, the IT department has had some serious setbacks.

1) Pay. The pay for long-term employees has been terrible for the last several years. The company performed well through the recession, but pay for performance is terrible. Even if you take on extra work and increased responsibilities, you do not receive any benefit for them even though you performed well. There was no reason for me to be paid 20% below market value. When I left, I received more than a 50% raise, but could have asked for a lot more. Also, most employees do not receive a bonus.

2) Management. The senior leadership appear to be extremely poor, including the CIO. There were some great managers the last couple of years, but they are no longer with the company. Management seems to be apathetic towards their employees. They will act like they care, but there is little to no action towards addressing employee concerns that are provided to management at least once a year through a formal process. However, there are a few great employees that can help the department correct itself.

3) Work. This was also listed as a benefit, but unfortunately there is so much work that your work/life balance will not exist. For the average employee, expect to work no less than 50+ hours a week. If you want to get ahead, plan to work 60+ hours or at least be at work, not necessarily working.

4) Outsourcing. Kiewit primarily outsources programming. Kiewit relies on the business to create requirements. Most of the opportunities available are project management work.

I also heard people had to take demotions after a couple of months of being hired. In some cases, the person was completely qualified, but they had to take demotions due to their popularity or executives/directors wanted to make room for someone they really liked. I do not know the whole story, but it seems unfair, especially if the person is more qualified than the person that replaced them.

Please be advised that you will need to move to Omaha, NE, eventually. Some people were told they do not need to move, but several months later were asked/told to move to Omaha. You might be able to stay were you live depending on your position (whether it involves a lot of interaction with a district).

Reevaluate all the IT employees from top to bottom. You need to know where your employees are and should be regarding responsibilities and pay.

Define a vision for the IT department. It often seems that management wants to outsource all the IT department, except for a handful of managers.

Show appreciation for your employees and help them develop their skill set.

Unfortunately, the troubles might be too far along to help your employees. Many of the good employees are gone and the ones that are there is because they are settled and do not want to risk moving to a new company/career. Many of the good employees that were hired and showed a lot of promise to lead the department refuse to comeback. The IT department does not have a good reputation in Omaha and the IT community.

I approve of the CEO because the company is doing well. However, I highly disapprove of the CIO due to the poor performance of the IT department and lack of direction.

Lots of work and a good attitude towards safety. Fast-paced work environment and good support

Current Employee - Quality Inspector  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Quality Inspector in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

- lots of people with a good amount of experience in the construction industry
    - lots of young engineers, quality inspectors who are new to the job yet willing to learn
    - focus on safety is a bit odd at first, but the industry is known to be dangerous and they want to protect their employees health and well-being (and to keep them healthy is better than hiring someone new)
    - good work culture as in the majority of the people who work there are helpful if you ask and have lives outside of work
    - good benefits
    - they listen to your suggestions and implement them especially if it is directed towards safety/productivity

Cons

- unless you ask you'll get stuck in one area for a while
    - long hours for both salary and hourly employees, minimum 10 hour days

There are newer employer reviews for Kiewit Corporation.

Worked for Kiewit Corporation? Contribute to the Community!