Kiewit Corporation

www.kiewit.com
  www.kiewit.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kiewit Corporation

Great company

Current Employee - Quality in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Quality in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Helpful supervisors
- Continuous learning

Cons

- lots of overtime
- personalities clash

336 Other Employee Reviews for Kiewit Corporation (View Most Recent)

Equipment Engineer

Current Employee - Equipment Engineer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Equipment Engineer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation (more than an year)

Pros

Good mix of office and field work

Cons

Low Pay, relative to the people i manage. Poor Raises. Long hours.

Quit trying to find ways to bribe us with little things, just pay us for the time we work.

Slavery Gets Things Done

Former Employee - Utilities Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Utilities Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kiewit is a great company for anyone who is looking to marry their job. There is a lot of room to grow and advance. I have seen/heard of workers starting at the bottom, putting in their time, and eventually they ended up as high as middle management. It is a company that attracts workers with lower levels of education, because all workers are eligible to move up within the company.

It is a fast-paced company that allows a workers to take on a lot of responsibility relatively early on in their career. The experience one gains working for Kiewit is first class and can be very valuable.

The projects that they take on are at the forefront of the sector. They offer challenging and intriguing work and are located all over the world. The prospect of travel is often one of the key selling points as to why workers choose to work for Kiewit.

Cons

Engineers on salary do not get compensated adequately for the amount of overtime they put in. There is no overtime pay for engineers. You make your salary and you put in however many hours necessary to get the job done. One's salary can look appealing at first glance, but upon breaking it down to an hourly wage (given the high amount of hours a typical engineer puts in) isn't very much at all.

Sometimes the "boys club" mentality is a little too overwhelming. It can feel as though that personal growth and progression within the company all depends on who you are close with, not on your quality of work or how hard you're working.

Early on in your career you will not have the luxury of choosing or getting a say as to which projects you end up working on. At the beginning of your career with Kiewit, you will end up working wherever they see fit.

Take better care of your engineers. Yes, you offer starting EITs competitive salaries, but employee turnaround for the company is terrible. Those same engineers that started their careers working for Kiewit, more often than not, eventually grow bitter towards the company because of the treatment they receive. I worked on a project that lost more than 5 engineers within a span of 2 months because they were fed up with the company and how they managed their people. It may not seem like a big deal, but happy workers - who hold with them the knowledge and skills learned while working on your projects - will be more productive and be less likely to make mistakes that could end up costing the company more money in rework than just paying them overtime or allowing them time off in the first place.

The company really needs to work on work-life balance. Measures were being taken on the project I was working for due to the fact that so many engineers were quitting within such a short period of time, however, there were still lots of complaints. It is understandable that the company requires so much from their workers since they are a project-based company, but improvements can still be made.

In short, treat your engineers better. It is a disconcerting fact that the craft workers make exponentially more money than the engineers (due to the fact that they receive overtime pay). Both parties work hard and are very skilled at what they do. I have heard engineers say things along the lines of, "why did I study so hard for 4 years at university to get my engineering degree, only to end up making less than a tradesman who went to school for maybe 2-3 years."

There are newer employer reviews for Kiewit Corporation