There are newer employer reviews for Kiewit Corporation

Amazing job, but not available in less than 130% commitment.

Former Employee - Superintendent in New York, NY
Former Employee - Superintendent in New York, NY

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will get to do amazing things. You will get to do them with much less experience than you would think, and it will probably work out. I can't emphasize enough the phenomenally rewarding experiences I've had. The training is first class, and there is plenty of it. Your coworkers will become your friends, maybe move in with some of them. Very friendly. Great benefits. Start off with 4 weeks of paid time off (one bank of sick+vacation), very good health insurance. Once you get to about the stockholder level, you will probably get a company car/truck, with a gas card and free tolls. Pay is pretty good, and you probably will get raises every 6 months for the first few years.

Cons

It will be your life. You will work crazy hours. Sometimes, the crazy hours are spent chasing a great goal, and are a rewarding experience. Usually, they're spent in meetings or paperwork. You may have to bounce back and forth from nights to days, work weekend jobs with crazy long shifts. You won't get a choice in these assignments. You will stay until the work is done, regardless of what the clock says. The stock program isn't what it once was, diluting the reward behind the crazy hours. Here's my thesis on this: Revenue is growing at a pretty steady pace. Profits are holding steady as a percentage of revenue, so growing at about the same pace. However, staff employees (and therefore stockholders) are growing at a much higher rate**. Therefore, gain per stockholder is dropping at the difference between the two rates, which is becoming quite staggering. ** Why this is, irrelevant. Too many new programs, staff efficiency losses, whatever. Management hasn't conquered it. You will be expected to move. If you say no, you most likely will be fired, or just kicked off the career path. Doesn't matter if your spouse has the higher paying job, whatever, Kiewit is expected to be the prime employer. Honestly, if I could do the Kiewit thing at about 40 hours/week or so, I'd be there. I took a pretty large pay cut for a less rewarding job to spend more time with the family.

Advice to Management

Fix the stock program (staff growth vs. revenue growth). Easier said than done, but that's why you make the big big bucks. As the two-income families grow, more cases of Kiewit being the secondary employer will occur. Develop a policy for this.

Other Employee Reviews for Kiewit Corporation

1. Interesting work

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Omaha, NE
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Omaha, NE

I worked at Kiewit Corporation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

New, exciting work on projects all over North America Everyone worked as a team and was easy to approach for advice They make safety a huge priority Powerful company

Cons

Working for such a large company it can be easy to get lost in how expansive their operations are Some projects are literally in the middle of nowhere

2. Good organization.

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

room for career advancement. Good learning environment

Cons

very little work-life balance. 80-hour work weeks are very common