Kiewit Corporation

There are newer employer reviews for Kiewit Corporation

Hurry up and wait!

Current Employee - Estimator in Vancouver, WA
Current Employee - Estimator in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All the resources you need are at your finger tips when you work for Kiewit. Everyone is willing to share ideas and help each other succeed. The work is interesting and satisfying. They pay pretty well.

Cons

Unfortunately, when I worked for Kiewit the economy was at the bottom of the downturn. Kiewit was a standstill in their estimating department, which was where I was placed. Us interns did not have any substantial to do.

336 Other Employee Reviews for Kiewit Corporation (View Most Recent)

No Specific Role in the company

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience and opportunities getting to work on huge projects and dealing with expensive operations. Got to see a little bit of everything from office work and estimating to field operations.

Cons

Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off. I was moved around monthly from the day I got there. I was basically used to catch certain parts of the job to where they needed to be and once caught up I was tossed away.

If you hire someone make sure you actually need them instead of having someone move across the country to get laid off 6 months later. Employees don't really matter as much as the stock holders shares.

Great company to gain experience.

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and the benefits are fantastic, great health insurance and 401K matching.

Cons

The pay is not competitive, especially when you take into account the amount of hours you'll work. The company is very construction driven, therefore if you work in "support" staff i.e. (not an engineer, superintendent, project manager) there is not much appreciation for your effort or many opportunities for upward advancement. If you're ambitious, you can look for your own opportunities and training, but you'll have to be your own advocate to see any of them actually happen, many employees are told no when they ask for outside training, even if it is not training that is offered within the company.

The culture here is not at all what we say it is. If "People" are supposed to be a core value, then start acting like it. Our compensation is terrible and it's almost implied that overtime is an expectation, whether it's necessary for task completion or not. Listen to your employees, when such a huge percentage leave and complain of poor compensation and no opportunity, stop trying to say compensation isn't the issue and start addressing it head on.

There are newer employer reviews for Kiewit Corporation