Kiewit Corporation

www.kiewit.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Kiewit Corporation

Great pay, lots of hours

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Kiewit Corporation

Pros

Definitley a great resume booster. I learned a ton while on the job and interacted with many different people there.

Cons

Work, work, work, work, no time off, no time off. Its construction, you work A LOT, but at Kiewit, you work too much.

359 Other Employee Reviews for Kiewit Corporation (View Most Recent)

Organized Disfunction

Former Employee - Engineer/Estimator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer/Estimator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kiewit Corporation

Pros

Chicao area only - Good reputation, high profile projects. If you make the right connections, you can learn from some of the best around. Great collection of data and reports on past projects. These can be used as a study tool, help for an estimate and useful in the future for work planning. Financially strong.

Cons

They pay salary. No OT. If you work on a project, it is possible you may get 10% extra pay to cover the extra time and "stress". Inevitably, you will end up working 60 hours a week and find yourself on a project that has weekend work as well and you will work a couple 16 hour shifts saturday and sunday. The company utilizes yearly reviews for employees. I am fairly certain the upper management (at least area manager, sponsor level up to district manager) have a get together in a cottage in Cape Cod and discuss everyone. They believe in the 20-70-10. During reviews, they often just pencil whip their review of the employee to have them fall in a preconceived pecking order. Concerns and goals for your own career are listened to, but not acted upon. Currently, they are not winning many estimates in the Chicago area. 2 in the last 4 years? They will put the postage stamp on your back and send you off to a different place to work no matter if you recently purchased a house, got married etc. If you choose not to go, you will most likely be fired. Personnel issues are very secretive and let known at the last moment. You will get called into an office and they say "we have an opportunity for you". When does that opportunity start? "I think there is a plane at O'Hare in 2 hours." Basically, they will tell you they need you 1500 miles away to start tomorrow. You have limited time to say goodbye to your GF/wife, pack a bag or organize whatever life you have.

They try to be so innovative it limits productivity. Paperwork to purchase materials for a job - you have to go to the purchasing system online, create a purchase order, get it signed, create a purchase req, get it signed, then you can purchase it. Emergency spending to get things accomplished will get you reamed out. At one point they tried to devise a way to predict future accidents. Not only do they have accident reports, but they have near miss reports, which are fairly common. Above and beyond that was the leading indicators program, which I think they tried to analyze near misses to predict future accidents. Not very productive, but I guess proactive.

I know of a superintendent who got reamed for buying pizza for a crew of 20 as a lunch time reward for good work. Approx $130 in pizza because the men exceeded production, while that day's profits were literally several hundred thousand dollars, got the sup't reamed.

Treat the middle 70% of your company workers as if they are appreciated, give them warnings and head ups on moves. Give employees review sheets for their supervisers and persons of management level. This will reveal weakspots in management, which there definitely are, and will help improve operations. There are stockholders and managers which are not good at their jobs, and through a low level of cronyism, pass by other deserving members. Some of your lead estimators are incompetent when it comes to people management and project management. I can recall being chastised by trying to hold a coordination meeting with all the estimators on a project. The lead estimator said we dont need a meeting. She hadn't had one meeting about a project we were working on for over a week. She is a stock holder and incompetent as a lead estimator. Pay more than 10% field bump. Appoint a time management person for each district who must review salaried persons work schedules, especially for projects with weekend work to either limit hours or do a salary plus system where OT hours are compensated.

Good, hard work

Current Employee - Superintendent in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Superintendent in New York, NY

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation

Pros

Kiewit takes on any complex project. The jobs and schedules are very challenging. There is hardly down time or dull moments. You never get too comfortable before you get more responsibility.

Cons

The work is very demanding. Often hours exceed 60 per week. Typical large corporate company. You likely will move several times.

Try to listen to those on the job level. Help them in the areas where they are asking for help. Embrace technology in construction.

There are newer employer reviews for Kiewit Corporation