Kimley-Horn and Associates

www.kimley-horn.com
  www.kimley-horn.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kimley-Horn and Associates

Great opportunities for career growth and a lot of freedom to take my career where I want it to go.

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates

Pros

- Freedom: The sky is the limit in terms of what you want to do with your career
- Benefits: The pay is average but the benefits and bonuses are great
- Mentorship: Surrounded by amazingly talented people who are willing to share their knowledge

Cons

- UT: The utilization goals are very challenging and require extra effort
- Management structure: There isn't a lot of structure, which can be difficult for some people that are used to having a boss and being told what to do

More transparency would be nice. There seem to be a lot of secrets and most of them aren't even secrets for a good reason.

171 Other Employee Reviews for Kimley-Horn and Associates (View Most Recent)

Not the place for everyone

Former Employee - Senior Professional
    Former Employee - Senior Professional

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates

Pros

KHA is a good place to work for just the right type of person and KHA touts itself as a place to make lots of money and this is true.

Cons

The organization is enormously top heavy with only about 7 workers for each 1 management/overhead position. The top dogs make up various titles for themselves and travel around to the various offices generating no revenue- while stopping the work of those that do- for one pep talk or another or subtly threatening employees who aren't singing the company tune quite loud enough. I decided that it would be better to leave than cheat clients and do business the way one has to to succed there. It's sad for the younger staff but until they figure it out or get summarily layed off so a non-producing partner can keep his job, they plod along- most not knowing how it really is because they came to KHA right out of college. Padding bills and overcharging clients is, in fact, a fundamental business strategy at KHA: that's how they make such outrageous profits which thay pass out to the shareholders who own the company. The good old boys- and I do mean boys since women (and minorities) are almost completely absent from any sort of leadership role- take care of themselves first, they what ever is left triclkes down to the surfs. The cult environment is beat into the staff's heads like a Chinese water torture. Those who aren't ready, willing, and able to sacrifice family, hobbies, and their world outside of KHA and to work 50 to 60 hours a week will not last very long- either they get dumped, burned out, or give up.

There is nothig to say- they already know what the situation is but it works for them so nothing will change. Eventually they will get sued, the structure will collapse, or they will be bought out.

UT & Politics

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates

Pros

You will gain a lot of experience in CAD while an E.I.T.

Cons

From 2008-2011 they kept senior PM's who did not bring in work, and worked E.I.T.'s into the ground. The E.I.T.'s did not learn how to be a successful engineer, just really good CAD techs. If you are not part of the popular crowd watch out. They claim a desire for good work/life balance but anyone who has worked there can tell you that is a joke. They have a self image of near perfection in engineering and not one other firm can touch their knowledge and success. News flash, you are pretentious and smug with dwindling skills in your junior/mid level ranks. I actually heard a PM explaining the rational method to a new grad. Enjoy future mediocrity.

Keep chugging along in blind vanity sitting high in a white tower. I can't wait to see the fall.

There are newer employer reviews for Kimley-Horn and Associates