High Quality People and Ability to Chart Your own Course

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have the opportunity to see the way that some of our competitors operate as well as the firm I was with before KHA and I constantly count my blessings at the quality of the people here. In addition, there's much more of an atmosphere of open dialogue here than I see elsewhere. Senior people are encouraged to develop their staff and then treat them like partners rather than subordinates.

Some of the other reviews on here talk about the emphasis on utilization or the amount of time people are expected to work. I talk to peers in other firms and they work as many or more hours than what I and many others at KHA do. At my old firm, the younger folks were never aware of UT but that didn't mean that it wasn't important nor that they had goals that they needed to be making in order for the firm to make money. In addition, what you see at many firms is a mix of people who put in extra effort when needed and others who are pretty much punching the clock. Here, due to the quality of the people and the fact that we don't hide the UT issue, the load is more evenly spread we don't have that imbalance.

Finally, I can't say enough about the benefits. Yes, bonuses are wonderful, but so is the retirement program. The firm puts so much money into the 401k, that it not only is insuring that my wife and I will be in good shape whenever I retire, but it's meant that I don’t have to take as much out of my paycheck each month to contribute as I would have at almost any other firm.

Cons

KHA has a good corporate philosophy that minimizes management and focuses on rewarding and growing staff. The challenge as a firm grows and has multiple locations, with new mid-and-senior folks coming in is that it can be difficult to make sure that the philosophy gets consistently implemented. In reading some of the reviews on here, some of the specific comments or examples cited where 180 degreed from what I've experienced or from what would be considered acceptable by the firm. We don't have a top-down management approach and we allow our Practice Builders a lot of freedom which is a big positive. That same freedom however, can be problematic if you have a Practice Builder who isn't 100% bought in or following the firm's philosophy. That can sometimes sour the experience for those working with him and they can view his philosophy or approach as that of the firm's.

Advice to Management

As noted above, the firm needs to find a way to merge the openness and freedom with making sure that we understand when we have PM's or PB's who aren't providing a KHA experience for their staff. It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does it can create a negative experience.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great career opportunities

Former Employee - Associate Traffic Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Associate Traffic Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great career opportunities if you put in the effort. It was obvious what you needed to do to move up within the company. I like the structure of a more corporate company, but still felt that I got the family feel of a smaller company within my office.

Cons

Don't have an open door policy. I felt that some things were very secretive when they shouldn't have been. I didn't like that you typically had one project manager and didn't get very many opportunities to work with other project managers/teams.

While there were many career opportunities, they often involved long working hours. It was hard to achieve a great work/life balance there.

Advice to Management

Give younger staff more opportunities to work with multiple project managers and teams.

Great Opportunities for the RIght People

Current Employee - Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

KHA has the mindset of rewarding those that perform. The company is run as a business that provides professional services. Because of the business based approach, the benefits KHA provides are outstanding and beyond what most of this industry provides. KHA looks out for the long term financial stability of its employees. They match the 401K at 4% and add profit sharing on top of the match. The KHA retirement program allows all employees to enter retirement with a great nest egg. Advancement is quick for those that perform. KHA rewards the performers with great promotions, bonuses, and advancements. Overall, a great place to work if you want to work.

Cons

KHA is not for everyone. KHA is an "extra effort" firm. It is expected that you put in the effort that is required to meet the high expectations of clients. Sometimes this means that you will need to work 40 hours in a week when things are running at a normal pace and sometimes you will need to work more when a client deadline is approaching. If you desire a steady 40hr/week job then KHA is not for you. If you want to be rewarded for being exceptional, KHA is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to be willing to make exceptions to the promotion "policies" for the exceptional employees that should advance quickly.