There are newer employer reviews for Kimley-Horn and Associates

Challenging but great place to work.

Former Employee - Project Manager P5 in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Project Manager P5 in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Profit Sharing Plan. Good training opportunities.

Cons

Lots of focus on billable hours, hard to advance. Laid off a lot of people during recession to stay profitable. Lots of hours.

Advice to Management

Keep up good work.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great company for the ambitious.

Current Employee - Civil Analyst
    Current Employee - Civil Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kimley-Horn is focused on profit and sharing that profit in a rewarding way. The benefits + bonus program + profit sharing make the hard work mostly worth it. I feel that I receive the recognition I feel I deserve. I've gotten involved in a lot of marketing and office management which I really enjoy and get to learn a lot from. I respect the KHA culture, but find that it sometimes lacks "legs" in that it is not always implemented everywhere all the time. There are lots of great, knowledgeable folks at KHA and many that are focused on growing and helping junior staff. Those are the people with which I focus on building relationships. I really enjoy my job because of the culture in my office and relationships I've formed with my colleagues.

Cons

By far, the worst part about KHA is the long hours and seemingly non-existant work-life balance. It seems that in the beginning stages of one's tenure at KHA, you spend very long hours in the office while the senior staff does much less. I think it's a form of "paying your dues." UT (%age of your time billable to a client) can drive you crazy, but if you have plan and follow through it is not hard to make that goal without completely sacrificing your life. I think the key is taking ownership of your role and schedule and making it work before it gets out of hand. I do find that there is some secretive-ness at times, but that is not true of all senior staff, offices, or regions. I wish that KHA would spend more time growing their staff through training instead of their "throw you in the water and see if you swim" approach. I believe that is why so many young staff leave KHA, because they don't have good role models and they are expected to do too much too quickly for too little recognition and with too little tools.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a good foundation with your entry-level and junior staff. Training is important. Listen to us because we are telling you what we need.

2. Great work environment for young people.

Current Employee - Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. People are nice.

Cons

Not enough work. To go around.

Advice to Management

Seek out more work.