There are newer employer reviews for Kimley-Horn and Associates

Great place to work when you're young and have no other life responsibilities.

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates

Pros

Kimley-Horn offers great benefits. If you can last at least 7 years, you'll walk away with a killer retirement account. The medical insurance offers an option of 100% paid. I think the firm is well managed. Top managers communicate well with staff and let them know what changes are coming down the pike. They do forget however to talk more to the younger folks who have not experience a downturn like this. All the news is negative. They need to do a little cheerleading to let everyone know that times are bad now, but good times will come again.

Cons

Two words: "extra effort" Forget about having a life. Do this job while you're young and have no kids or responsibilities, then get the heck outta here.

Think about the career paths for ALL employees, not just the engineers.

161 Other Employee Reviews for Kimley-Horn and Associates (View Most Recent)

My dream job!

Current Employee - Practice Builder/Senior Vice-President
    Current Employee - Practice Builder/Senior Vice-President

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I get the freedom to apply my skills to pursue projects for which I am passionate. They have taught me to be a business man and now I am an owner in the business. I have had the opportunity to help develop talent and work with amazing people. I have the freedom to take my career to new directions. I have the peace of mind that my long term future is taken care of while I am able to enjoy a good lifestyle with solid benefits for me and my family.

Cons

Our culture is not for everyone and that is OK. We are driven, self-motivated, and hold each other accountable. It is hard to watch good people who are not a good fit struggle.

Stick to our principles and values. Keep doing the good things and aspire to improve in the areas we need to grow.

Good opportunities and shared profits

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

KHA has a strong ethic of good client service. Expectations are high, so you never need to complain that the person next to you is not pulling their weight. Excellent management. The company's profits are very broadly distributed, so essentially all the money goes back to the staff either in benefits or in bonuses. In most companies only the very upper echelon get serious bonuses, but everyone at KHA gets substantial rewards. Staff are very much pushed to grow and expand their careers - this is not the place for you if you just want to put in your time and leave. I recently went through a rough spot with my health and could not believe the support from the company - outstanding benefits and solid moral support combined.

Cons

Without a doubt, KHA expects hard work from its staff. Though some of this is just typical of the industry, many employees have a hard time with work/life balance. There is greater-than-average emphasis on meeting billable hours goals. Workers are often called upon to shift to other offices to help with deadlines, which could be either good or bad depending on whether you enjoy travel.

I feel the company is already aware of the work-life balance issue and is struggling to figure out a way to make it work with KHA's business model. The efforts are appreciated; please just keep moving in that direction.

There are newer employer reviews for Kimley-Horn and Associates