Kinder Morgan

www.kindermorgan.com
  www.kindermorgan.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kinder Morgan

Good Company

I have been working at Kinder Morgan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, lots of opportunity.

Cons

It's a relatively new company, and the culture is still developing.

111 Other Employee Reviews for Kinder Morgan (View Most Recent)

Talk is cheap, that is why there is a great abundance of it at Kinder Morgan...

Former Employee - Operations Superintendent in Argo, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Superintendent in Argo, IL

I worked at Kinder Morgan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience is limited to Terminals. Some good people work within the organization at the lower levels that I was exposed to, maybe there are some at the top too, I wouldn't know. I was but a low level manager. It is unfortunate that good people are part of the greater corruption and greed that fuels the very unethical behavior. Many have been there to long to leave or have been unable to find anything better.

I have actually heard from colleagues who internally transferred to other parts of the business, such as pipelines, that they are run much more effectively and ethically than terminals.

Cons

Again, my experience is limited to Terminals. Questionable firings, falsified incident reports, and ALWAYS putting shareholder value above all else including safety. Safety is sort of important when handling dangerous chemicals and petroleum...

Job security is laughable even if you are regarded as a good performer. In the two and half years that I worked for KM Terminals, the following happened:

1. Regions were realigned and about 20 mid-level managers were terminated in a "Night of the Long Knives" scenario when they were told on a FRI morning that their jobs were no longer needed.

2. Questionable firings of lower level managers. The terminations of lower level managers that I witnessed seemed rather random as if someone looked in a magic 8 ball and determined that whatever the less than optimal situation was warranted a firing.

The guidance and policies change as often as the wind shifts direction. There is an almost palpable sense of 'you better watch your back' in daily affairs. Infighting, and shifting blame are the order of the day.

I think all of these cons are a result of the sad reality that KM will simply not spend the money to improve their infrastructure and staff their organization adequately. It seems that upper management, read VP and above, have decided to take a 'lets discipline and fire people a lot so that we can show our chain of command and governmental agencies that we are serious'.

For the record, I was not fired but I easily could have been. It is just that random and the threat always looms. I had some good times at KM and it was a learning experience.

Put your money where your mouth is... Like most large corporations, Kinder Morgan has core values and principles but these are little more than placeholders. Open your VERY immense pocket books and start spending to improve your decrepit and inadequate infrastructure and dangerously low staffing levels.

Stop touting the fact that Richard Kinder's salary is only $1... He was the fourth highest paid CEO in the nation in 2012 due to stock option profits. Look it up if you like. He might be a great guy, I never met him but he needs to fix the philosophy of his terminals. They are broken.

Talk is cheap, that is why there is a great abundance of it at Kinder Morgan...

Good place to start

Current Employee - Controller/Scheduler in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Controller/Scheduler in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Kinder Morgan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New management is extremely safety focused. Company sticks to its core values across the board. Growing company with a secure future.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid, standard for most large businesses. High turnover rate means more overtime and more stress at work. Lack of advancement opportunity. Some management has inadequate management training so they treat their employees poorly.

Figure out why people are leaving and fix it (hint: more money).

There are newer employer reviews for Kinder Morgan