There are newer employer reviews for Kinder Morgan

Where careers go to die

I worked at Kinder Morgan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. If you are 4-5 years away from retirement, go for it!

Cons

Unless you are a lifer and can sit through about 20-30 years worth of brain erasing 8-to-5 stuff, filling our spreadsheets for your bosses without making a single decision, without having any say in what's going on whatsoever... do NOT even bother. Even VP level guys barely make any decisions in KM. Director level guys are bragging about managing 5-6 million dollar projects. Perhaps after being burned in Enron, Richard Kinder doesn't want anybody to make any decisions ever.

I don't know a single person who left KM and wasn't happy afterwards. I suffered through 3 years of this stuff until it was painfully obvious that I wasn't going anywhere while watching guys with much less education and experience getting promoted because somebody is pushing them up or pulling them up. You are completely screwed if you don't have any connections in that company. And to develop those kinds of connection, you need to be there 10-15 years. If you are ready for that, more power to you.

I left KM for a job with much more responsibility and MUCH better pay. That is also a recurring theme between most people who leave KM - more responsibility and better pay.

I don't even know why I should bother. Management doesn't listen anyway.

106 Other Employee Reviews for Kinder Morgan (View Most Recent)

Great Place to Work

I worked at Kinder Morgan

Pros

Enjoyed the no nonsense approach to things.

Cons

Not much mobility to move up

Overall good work enviroment.

Current Employee - Scheduler in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Scheduler in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kinder Morgan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and good benefits

Cons

Upper managment is dollar driven. This is good but taken to the extreme with some facilities being affected by tight budgets.

Look at the maintenace on facilities closer. Appearance goes a long way. A clean well groomed facility is more attractive to customers and safer.

There are newer employer reviews for Kinder Morgan