A true learning experience

Current Employee - Infant Teacher in Sewell, NJ
Current Employee - Infant Teacher in Sewell, NJ

I have been working at Kindercare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have learned a lot since my tenure at Kindercare. Kindercare is very interested in continuing the training of their teachers by paying for schooling to get teaching certificates and ongoing Proffesional Development days planned throughout the year. The center I work in has a great group of teachers that are interested in their children and interested in continuing to make a difference in the lives of their students. We work well with our families and love our children as much as the people they go home with. My center director and assistant director are very generous in the information they give to their employees and parents, they are flexible yet fair and we can count on them to be consistent. I feel as though my time at Kindercare has also made me a better parent and I appreciate the resources that I have received in being a parent/teacher to not only help me in the classroom, but also help me in making my children's school experience a better one.

Cons

Well of course every employee feels as though they deserve more money and we are no different. LOL But it has to be said that for people who are in charge of helping to shape little people for the future, there should be more compensation for that. I also think consideration should be given to employees having discounts to enrolling their own children. Of course we do have discounts in place, however, it's sad when parents have been forced to leave altogether because there are 0 discounts for their infants and it costs more than they make to enroll their children in the infant room. Also, for anyone wanting to work there, they have to take into consideration periods when enrollment is low and therefore hours are slashed severely.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Lack of supplies

Former Employee - Management in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Management in Detroit, MI

I worked at Kindercare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They offer tuition reinbursment. Benefits to full time employees.

Cons

Always putting a freeze on spending. Lack of supplies needed for daily programming.

Advice to Management

You say you have the best programs around. But you don't spend the money for materials.

Changes take focus away from children...

Former Employee - Center Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Center Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kindercare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PRIOR to the change from education to basic retail, I loved KC! There were: Smiles and hugs daily! The building of relationships with amazing families, earning their trust. Leading and coaching eager teachers. Recognition for outstanding customer care, parent reviews, health and safety, growth, etc. The NEW KC lacks all of those attributes.

Cons

Education is very back-burner, revenue generation is the only goal. NO pay raises for staff or mgmt in 4+ years, yet tuition increased annually. Micro-management over everything! Centers are pressured to reduce labor costs which displaces children btwn classrooms and severely reduces curriculum that parents are paying dearly for. Families are highly pressured to pay extra for tutorial "learning adventures" that in many cases don't get taught due to staff shortages. The topics of the tutorials should be part of the main-stream curriculum as they are with competitive centers. Centers are dirty as cleaning budgets are gone, older buildings are in poor repair while newer buildings get repainted, hardwood flooring, new classroom equipment.

Advice to Management

KC has become 100% revenue driven! District managers and up have NO EDUCATION BACKGROUND (only retail) and are unable to understand that the early childhood education and childcare centers operate very differently than Target! Someone calls in sick at a store, they close a register and people have to wait to check out. At a center when someone calls in sick, the center goes out of teacher/child state mandated ratios! Safety is compromised, curriculum is dropped, Directors are in kitchens making lunches, doing bus runs, filling in classrooms. There is never any money budgeted for additional staff!! District Managers and RVPs show extreme favoritism to "puppets" and eventually replace any Director that has a strong business sense as well as strong convictions to child welfare, family satisfaction, health and safety, state mandated standards! Professionalism and leadership are no longer virtues. It is a sad day when trust is lost and replaced by greed. Take note of the decrease in occupancy in your centers...it didn't have to be that way!