There are newer employer reviews for Kindercare

I feel supported by the upper management and enjoy my career

Current Employee - Center Director
Current Employee - Center Director

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I truly enjoy my job and look forward to going to work

Cons

I don't have any cons

188 Other Employee Reviews for Kindercare (View Most Recent)

This company is falling apart

Current Employee - Center Director  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Center Director in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

started annual CD conference last year

Cons

Upper management always changing, not consistent in communicating with centers, DM changes were so often we didn't know who to contact at times, pay is terrible even with degree and experience, budget is out of control..for what parents pay-we do not give them what we should, children do not come first, benefits are terrible, bonus structure for CD's is made to never accomplish, I could go on.

Get consistent, communicate better. Just because you are doing Gallup poles doesn't mean anything..CHANGE!

Nice Opportunity in Transition, Not a Long-Term Career

Current Employee - Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been working at KinderCare for the last few years as a Lead Teacher. I have to honestly say that the children are probably the most rewarding part of this job. Even on the toughest of days, the bond that you form with them is what will keep you going. With that said, it may be the only thing that will keep you going.

Cons

KinderCare simply does not demonstrate that it values its employees nor does it act in a manner that is in the best interest of the children:

The pay is meager, there has been a freeze on raises for at least the past 4 years, and the benefits are average. They keep expecting more out of their teachers, yet refuse to compensate us any further.

Only recently have they allowed discounts on the infant rooms if you are an employee. If you have more than one kid and plan on having them attend KinderCare while you work, forget about it. Pretty much all of your paycheck will go towards paying the fees.

The average work week for a full-time employee may be anywhere from 30 to 40 hours. If you begin to drop below 30 hours for an extended period of time, you may lose your benefits. This happened to me and I was informed that I was losing my benefits through a mailed letter the day before it occurred. I was without health insurance for months. I understand that is the policy, but further notice would’ve been appreciated.

Speaking of hours, be prepared to have yours cut at any given moment. Depending on how fast ratios drop (children leave for the day) or if some children do not show up for the day, you most likely will get sent home which leads to hours being dropped frequently. When this occurs, teachers and/or children may be forced to move between rooms. If you’re a parent, what this means is your child may be taken out of their room and be placed in the room above or below their age group depending solely on whether they will fit in ratio. The Center Director and/or Assistant Director may disguise this to the parents as a learning opportunity for the child if they’re placed with children older than them.

The turnover is not ideal. For many employees, they cannot afford to stay or have graduated from their college programs. KinderCare has a high rate of college employees, which can be advantageous or a cause for concern depending on how you view it. As mentioned earlier, the company does not pay well enough nor does it provide employment opportunities for growth for many to stay long-term. From what I have observed, the company does not typically promote from within. Many of the Directors and Assistant Directors either came from the outside or were transferred from other centers. As a result, they hire many college students who could use the experience while being paid slightly more than retail and food service industries. I think this is important for parents to consider because many that I have dealt with were quite disappointed when teachers had to move on.

Bottom line, KinderCare is a business. They seek to provide educational opportunities for the children, but filling classrooms while keeping costs down (i.e. low pay, cutting hours) is the most important point on the agenda and you feel it every single day from upper management and at the corporate level. It is a great experience to work with children, but have an additional plan. Do not dedicate yourself to more than a few years of dealing with this organization.

Utilize effective communication skills at every level, show that you value your employees through incentives and raises, become more organized, and show respect to your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Kindercare

Worked for Kindercare? Contribute to the Community!