I feel supported by the upper management and enjoy my career

Current Employee - Center Director
Current Employee - Center Director

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I truly enjoy my job and look forward to going to work

Cons

I don't have any cons

Other Reviews for Kindercare

I'm glad I dont work at kindercare any more

Current Employee - Pre-kindergarten Teacher  in  Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Pre-kindergarten Teacher in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than a year

Pros

They give you free meals, you eat with the kids. <--- that's it.

Cons

low pay. I made 9.75. which they didnt even want to give me, I had to fight for it. The only reason I applied is because I saw 12 on their ad, but that was a lie, thats what management makes.
    They do not value their employees.
    I applied to be lead teacher. I was pitched that I would have my own class, that I would teach 4's. Then once I had quit my other job and came in I found out I was sharing a class and on the application it said 2nd teacher -_- I'd been teaching for years as lead, what do I look like being 2nd teacher??
    The way management handles you and talks to you its like you are back in middle school and you literally do have to ask permission to go to the bathroom. And believe me they can tell you no.
    I was also pitched before I started that they had great benefits and that they pay for you to get your CDA. That too is also a lie. I signed up for benefits. Im single with no kids but it still took 200 out of my check each paycheck. And when i finally needed to go to the hospital for a broken arm my insurance sent me a letter saying that they werent paying for it but they had negotiated a discount lol.

I have never been micromanaged more. they will literally stand over your shoulder. I have never felt completely out of control as I did here. I felt like a child.

And the uniforms were so bummy and unprofessional looking.

And believe me, if you get hired for one position, even if thats what you applied for, they can and will move you somewhere completely different just because. my director on a regular told us they dont do things for the employee because everything's for the children.

Speaking of the children, I have never worked at a center which such badly behaved children. they hit ADULTS and children, fight, tell you no, everything, and its allowed. You know why?, its because kindercare does not believe in discipline or punishment. seriously, its written somewhere. they only believe in positive redirection. for example, if i walk in and a child smacks me in the face, that child does not have a consequence, a time out, or anything, i am simply to say to the bad kid, hey little boy, that hurt, why dont you use nice hands like this.. - I am then supposed to take his hand and have him pat my hand gently. 0_0 I promise you Im not making it up lol.

I used to go to this job and stare at the clock. time went by so slow.
    It took the fun out of teaching. my last teaching job we were allowed to make our curriculum, I had my own class, I was able to make up my own projects and decorate my room. but at kindercare none of that is allowed. everything is decided by a printed book that tells you what to do, say and feed the child each and everyday. it even tells you what they are allowed to play with for that day. This job took away my passion for teaching. And I kid you not, every day I pass by that job I thank God. Im now making 17 an hour at a good job, with real benefits and no one micromanages me. I am HOPINGG for the day I bump in to any one of my old directors there so I can tell them how much I make. Like look at me now, you treated me like a child not too long ago and now I make more than you, take that Kindercare

My advice to all people looking for a job would be to stay away from this happiness sucker of an occupation. It is a dead end, with little pay and managers who micromanage you to death. If you just need a job like i did at the time, make sure you keep putting in applications so you can break out some day like i did.

Also they tell you they pay for the CDA- thats a lie, you only get a little certificate, it doesnt mean youre certified, and its not a degree. dont believe the hype.

stop mircromanaging. Allow employees the right to decide somethings for their own class. give your teachers some respect, if you have confidence in their abilities dont make them go to you for permission before doing everything.

This company is falling apart

Current Employee - Center Director  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Center Director in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

started annual CD conference last year

Cons

Upper management always changing, not consistent in communicating with centers, DM changes were so often we didn't know who to contact at times, pay is terrible even with degree and experience, budget is out of control..for what parents pay-we do not give them what we should, children do not come first, benefits are terrible, bonus structure for CD's is made to never accomplish, I could go on.

Get consistent, communicate better. Just because you are doing Gallup poles doesn't mean anything..CHANGE!

There are newer employer reviews for Kindercare.

Worked for Kindercare? Contribute to the Community!