Kindercare

www.kindercare.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kindercare

Not a nice company to work for

Former Employee - Center Director in Logan Township, NJ
Former Employee - Center Director in Logan Township, NJ

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I made some life long friendships and gained some great experience. Learned a lot of life lessons. I was also paid well.

Cons

For a company that is supposedly based on the needs of children, it is not very family friendly. There were weeks when I worked 60 hours with no compensation. The company does not care about its employees. There was minimal support from my most recent District Manager, who would not take responsibility for anything, and has since been terminated. Raises are not given and teacher wages are low. There is constant restructuring of the corporate positions, making it a very uneasy environment. It felt very unstable. Many of the people holding the corporate positions have never worked in childcare and were hired solely to run a business, not to cater to children and their families.

Put yourself in the center director and staff shoes once in a while. They work very hard every day and most of you would have no clue how to run a center as well as they do.

230 Other Employee Reviews for Kindercare (View Most Recent)

Catty Co-workers, Low Pay, No respect

Former Employee - Teacher II in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Teacher II in Malvern, PA

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hourly wage wasn't bad, when working full time.

Cons

Mostly all female environment, tend to gossip, act in high school..(some are in high school) Not many are education majors nor college degreed which is fine but act envious towards those who had higher degrees of education. Very unpleasant management, strict and were lazy but acted busy while they were secretly browsing Facebook. Most who work there are miserable, but at least work well with the children which is all that matters. But not good for classroom mood. I was quick to find another job out of that environment!

If you don't like your job QUIT. Don't take your misery out on others.

Nice Opportunity in Transition, Not a Long-Term Career

Current Employee - Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at KinderCare for the last few years as a Lead Teacher. I have to honestly say that the children are probably the most rewarding part of this job. Even on the toughest of days, the bond that you form with them is what will keep you going. With that said, it may be the only thing that will keep you going.

Cons

KinderCare simply does not demonstrate that it values its employees nor does it act in a manner that is in the best interest of the children:

The pay is meager, there has been a freeze on raises for at least the past 4 years, and the benefits are average. They keep expecting more out of their teachers, yet refuse to compensate us any further.

Only recently have they allowed discounts on the infant rooms if you are an employee. If you have more than one kid and plan on having them attend KinderCare while you work, forget about it. Pretty much all of your paycheck will go towards paying the fees.

The average work week for a full-time employee may be anywhere from 30 to 40 hours. If you begin to drop below 30 hours for an extended period of time, you may lose your benefits. This happened to me and I was informed that I was losing my benefits through a mailed letter the day before it occurred. I was without health insurance for months. I understand that is the policy, but further notice would’ve been appreciated.

Speaking of hours, be prepared to have yours cut at any given moment. Depending on how fast ratios drop (children leave for the day) or if some children do not show up for the day, you most likely will get sent home which leads to hours being dropped frequently. When this occurs, teachers and/or children may be forced to move between rooms. If you’re a parent, what this means is your child may be taken out of their room and be placed in the room above or below their age group depending solely on whether they will fit in ratio. The Center Director and/or Assistant Director may disguise this to the parents as a learning opportunity for the child if they’re placed with children older than them.

The turnover is not ideal. For many employees, they cannot afford to stay or have graduated from their college programs. KinderCare has a high rate of college employees, which can be advantageous or a cause for concern depending on how you view it. As mentioned earlier, the company does not pay well enough nor does it provide employment opportunities for growth for many to stay long-term. From what I have observed, the company does not typically promote from within. Many of the Directors and Assistant Directors either came from the outside or were transferred from other centers. As a result, they hire many college students who could use the experience while being paid slightly more than retail and food service industries. I think this is important for parents to consider because many that I have dealt with were quite disappointed when teachers had to move on.

Bottom line, KinderCare is a business. They seek to provide educational opportunities for the children, but filling classrooms while keeping costs down (i.e. low pay, cutting hours) is the most important point on the agenda and you feel it every single day from upper management and at the corporate level. It is a great experience to work with children, but have an additional plan. Do not dedicate yourself to more than a few years of dealing with this organization.

Utilize effective communication skills at every level, show that you value your employees through incentives and raises, become more organized, and show respect to your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Kindercare