Kindred Healthcare

www.kindredhealthcare.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Kindred Healthcare

IT Professional at Corporate Headquarters (entire review is from IT perspective; I can't speak to the field facilities)

Current Employee - IT Professional in Louisville, KY
Current Employee - IT Professional in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Corporate Culture; I genuinely feel valued (in a non-monetary sense)
Management seems far more "human" (for lack of a better term) than other large employers I've worked at.
Decent pay coming in if you know to ask for it (I didn't and have been fighting against that since then).
Company seems genuinely resistant to layoffs; I don't fear for my job despite the recent problems for the company (reimbursement cuts from the the federal government).
I genuinely like the CEO; I make no claims to truly knowing him but from everything I've seen and heard around the office he seems like a thoroughly decent human being who actually cares about our patients and employees. I could be kidding myself of course, but I choose to believe this.

Cons

Intermittent and small raises; you had better ask for a lot coming in because it's not going to get better just because you do your job well.
Benefits (specifically medical) going from bad to worse.
The corollary of a nice work environment is low turnover; this leads to a lack of opportunity for advancement.
The corollary of not letting people go is that nobody (non-executives anyway) gets raises; deadwood and surplus middle management layers are kept instead. To their credit, they just eliminated a dozen surplus upper management positions which is a good start. But on my floor alone there are probably half a dozen people in middle management or senior "technical" positions (representing probably $200,000 or more of operating cost each between salary and benefits) that have no discernable function from the trenches. And on the lowest level, there are certainly some people that not only have no value, they actively impede those around them. Heck, maybe I'm one of them, I don't know, but it is very disheartening to not get raises while seeing these people keep their jobs. And most people that I talk to can come up with the same list of people in seconds; it's not just me.

From an IT perspective:
Obviously I'm advocating a reduction in force (primarily lower/middle management) combined with decent raises for the remaining people. We have managers with less than 5 direct reports and a director with (honest to god) 2 TOTAL employees under them; there is some obvious fat to be cut and consolidation of duties that could occur. I'd be willing to take my chances knowing full well that I could be one of the people let go (honestly my group could get by with one less person and knowing the dynamics of my team, realistically it's 50-50 that I would lose that contest).

387 Other Employee Reviews for Kindred Healthcare (View Most Recent)

Kinderd doesn't value their employees. Period.

Current Employee - IT Related in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - IT Related in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people I work with are amazing.
    My immediate manager is awesome.

Cons

Under staffed
    Benefits are HORRIBLE
    Will make employees suffer by stripping every perk possible just to raise stock prices.
    Refuses to give raises to the workers (even cost of living) - but executives still get hefty bonuses (See CNN money).
    Has been using the "bad economic times" excuse to cut benefits even though the company is doing well and profits are up.
    Too much "good ol' boy" mentality in management. Keeps dead weight around filling valuable positions as a security blanket of friends/puppets.
    Very little value placed on quality human capital.

Trim the fat of management to open up more operating revenue for the following:
    Reinstate employee perks.
    Give cost of living raises.
    Properly staff

Quit with the smoke and mirrors - we're not idiots. We have the internet, we know what's going on.
    If the workers don't get raises and promotions then the execs shouldnt get bonuses - deal? (Right, didn't think so.)

Fine the first year but then terrible. Worse every month

Current Employee - Clinical Liaison in Pittsburg, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Liaison in Pittsburg, CA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Able to get a job because every person before me quit...now I know why.

Cons

Poor leadership, managers with no experience. Clear favoritism, poor communication, unclear expectations. If in sales/marketing never count on a bonus. Poor quality physicians.

There are newer employer reviews for Kindred Healthcare