Kindred Healthcare
www.kindredhealthcare.com Louisville, KY 5000+ Employees

IT Professional at Corporate Headquarters (entire review is from IT perspective; I can't speak to the field facilities)

IT Professional (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood Corporate Culture; I genuinely feel valued (in a non-monetary sense)
Management seems far more "human" (for lack of a better term) than other large employers I've worked at.
Decent pay coming in if you know to ask for it (I didn't and have been fighting against that since then).
Company seems genuinely resistant to layoffs; I don't fear for my job despite the recent problems for the company (reimbursement cuts from the the federal government).
I genuinely like the CEO; I make no claims to truly knowing him but from everything I've seen and heard around the office he seems like a thoroughly decent human being who actually cares about our patients and employees. I could be kidding myself of course, but I choose to believe this.

ConsIntermittent and small raises; you had better ask for a lot coming in because it's not going to get better just because you do your job well.
Benefits (specifically medical) going from bad to worse.
The corollary of a nice work environment is low turnover; this leads to a lack of opportunity for advancement.
The corollary of not letting people go is that nobody (non-executives anyway) gets raises; deadwood and surplus middle management layers are kept instead. To their credit, they just eliminated a dozen surplus upper management positions which is a good start. But on my floor alone there are probably half a dozen people in middle management or senior "technical" positions (representing probably $200,000 or more of operating cost each between salary and benefits) that have no discernable function from the trenches. And on the lowest level, there are certainly some people that not only have no value, they actively impede those around them. Heck, maybe I'm one of them, I don't know, but it is very disheartening to not get raises while seeing these people keep their jobs. And most people that I talk to can come up with the same list of people in seconds; it's not just me.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom an IT perspective:
Obviously I'm advocating a reduction in force (primarily lower/middle management) combined with decent raises for the remaining people. We have managers with less than 5 direct reports and a director with (honest to god) 2 TOTAL employees under them; there is some obvious fat to be cut and consolidation of duties that could occur. I'd be willing to take my chances knowing full well that I could be one of the people let go (honestly my group could get by with one less person and knowing the dynamics of my team, realistically it's 50-50 that I would lose that contest).

Kinderd doesn't value their employees. Period.

IT Related (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: The people I work with are amazing. My immediate manager… Cons: Under staffed Benefits are HORRIBLE Will make employees suffer by stripping every perk possible just to raise stock prices. Refuses to give raises to the workers (even cost… Advice to Senior Management: Trim the fat of management to open up more operating revenue for the following: Reinstate employee perks. Give cost of living raises. Properly staff Quit with the smoke and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

bulling that is the word and the work load is too much for type of license we hold to much

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
Danville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros: The residents are wonderful and most of the employees and the polices and pay are good. We have good things to work with just… Cons: bullies!!! it is a recycling bind that is years old and needs… Advice to Senior Management: Clean out the recycling bind clean out the old get some new managment all of them new fresh ideas new people all of them need… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Kindred Healthcare.

Worked for Kindred Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kindred Healthcare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kindred Healthcare CEO Paul J. Diaz. All reviews posted anonymously by Kindred Healthcare employees.